The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Standardbred for barrel racing?? (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/standardbred-barrel-racing-65866/)

Tayler 09-28-2010 04:32 PM

Standardbred for barrel racing??

Has anyone had a positive experience with barrel racing a standard bred or ever heard of anyone being successful with one? Are the horse built with the ability to barrel race and win?

shesinthebarn 09-28-2010 04:46 PM

My friend shows her standie in speed events. He is a rtired trotter (not a pacer) and does pretty well. It took a lot of work, because a lot of standies have trouble with lead changes. It's just not natural for them! As for build, the build is SO different from horse to horse, bloodline to bloodline. Yes, they are built for speed, but for speed on the straight away - more go than whoa. One thing most standies have going for them is their work ethic. Most are hard working horses who give their all and try so hard to please.
Do you have a standardbred? Many states/provinces have standardbred shows. You might want to look into that. They are a great way to connect to other standie owners. Try the USTA website.

dynamite. 09-28-2010 07:16 PM

I've seen a girl on youtube who barrel races her SB and they do pretty well, but thats all.

BarrelRacer86 09-28-2010 07:42 PM

It might not make it showing at higher levels, their just not really built for it. But locally any breed can do anything. worth a try anyway

Amir 10-02-2010 03:33 PM

My friend has a 10 year old ex-pacer. He's never really had much issue with lead changed and stuff. He's been getting trained in bending and other gymkhana games as well as for show jumping. Ever since he was able to actually canter properly and was going well bending trotting, when he started bending at a canter most of the time he was flying changing himself.
He's been to a few gymkhanas and has done well. His first time out he came like 3rd overall.