The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Helmets (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/helmets-6587/)

.Delete. 03-04-2008 09:48 AM

Helmets

Do you wear a helmet? Why? Do you think it should be a law to wear a helmet?

Personally i don't wear a helmet, tho one has saved my life. Its not that i look stupid in them. i could careless if i do, its just that they get in the way, i focus better and i work better (i find) without a helmet.

PoptartShop 03-04-2008 10:32 AM

I wear a helmet pretty much most of the time. ;)
Always when I ride.
But if I'm with my horse sometimes I don't, because I can trust her.
But pretty much yeah I always wear a helmet. Always gotta be safe! :D

nikelodeon79 03-04-2008 11:23 AM

Quote:

its just that they get in the way, i focus better and i work better (i find) without a helmet.
This doesn't make sense to me. How do helmets get in your way? How would wearing one help your ability to focus?

I used to only wear a helmet when I was training young horses. One day, I was out on the trail with a green broke horse (16.2 HH)when he suddenly decided that he wanted to roll. There was no warning whatsoever. He just simply laid down. My foot was caught underneath so I yelled at him to get up and he got up bucking. Since I was trying to get off anyway, I went flying off into a pile of rocks. I cracked the back of my helmet on a sharp rock. Afterward, I thought about the fact that if I hadn't had a helmet on, that would've been my skull that cracked. I also realized that it was kind of a freak accident and accidents can happen with even the best trained horses. Now I wear a helmet every time I mount up and everyone who rides my horses does the same.

I run a county fair show and everyone under the age of 18 is required to wear a helmet. I had heard that some judges forbade the wearing of helmets in Western pleasure classes (in lieu of a western hat) so I went up and asked the judge of our show if I was allowed to wear a helmet (as I was over 18 and it wasn't technically "required") and she told me this: "If any judge ever tells you that you are not allowed to wear a helmet, walk away from that show."

.Delete. 03-04-2008 11:41 AM

I have trouble focusing as it is. If there is something on my head, my mind is always on it. Wether is a helmet or not. I have dozens of helmets and such. But they annoy me to death. I have a friend who got hurt very bad from a helmet. She is a contester, she can't /see/ as well as she could without it, according to her. But i have seen her run with a helmet, its better if she keeps it off, lets just put it that way.

I too have had a helmet save my life. I just can't stand them. My dad is trying to instate a law at our local County Fair where Helmets are required. I told him flat out that i will not show or ride there, he will have to take me to Penn to show then.

upnover 03-04-2008 11:52 AM

I understand the feeling! Growing up the rule was that we only had to wear helmets while we were jumping. The rule now is we have to wear helmets any time we're on a horse and it took some adjusting to get used to it. It's like you can't see or something because there's this big visor blocking your vision and you always have something on your head and choking your throat... but the important thing is that i DID get used to it and I'm so glad I did! You're flat out risking your life every time you get on a horse without one, no matter how safe and gentle the horse is. Now it's the opposite! I feel naked and distracted when I don't wear a helmet! Delete you're too important on this forum for us to quit hearing from you! Give a helmet a chance, you may be suprised at how comfortable they can be! (and you may be very grateful one day)

kitten_Val 03-04-2008 01:07 PM

I don't like the helmets and it's more comfortable to ride without one, but after 2 cases people fall the horse, hit the head and lost memory (one my neighbor, one the barn owner I used to keep my horse), I got one. I don't care how I look like, but extra-safety never hurts (especially because I work with very green youngsters).

appylover31803 03-04-2008 01:09 PM

i've always worn a helmet, but at my old stable if you were over 18 and was riding your horse,the choice was up to you. I have debated a couple times whether i should wear a helmet, and i never could think of a good reason to not wear one. I am getting a light weight one for the summer because it just gets too hot in a black helmet with no vents
I do not wear a helmet if i'm on the ground with Vega or lunging her.
To each his own if you want to wear a helmet or not, but i just don't see a good reason not to wear one.

Delete, are you able to wear anything on your head and concentrate? Do you wear western hats when you show? If you do, i don't see how a hat and helmet are different. Other than a helmet having to be buckled and obviously not a hat.
But if you'd like can you explain the difference?

I think if you can't see well with your current helmet, than the size is wrong. Mine has never affected my vision.

MysticRealm 03-04-2008 02:59 PM

Right now I am FORCED to wear a helmet at the barn even tho I am over 18. Barn ownery person (she doesn't really own it...ya) says it's due to her insurance yet she allows the western people to go without helmets.
If I was not FORCED to I would only wear a helmet for jumping/lessons

toosexy4myspotz 03-04-2008 03:57 PM

I never wear a helmet and dont plan on it. They get in my way and are just down right annoying.

Harlee rides horses 03-04-2008 04:23 PM

I never wear a helmet.