The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   position critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/position-critique-65894/)

Waybueno 09-28-2010 07:16 PM

position critique

This was my first time ever really jumping, im a western rider but my mom wanted to see if her horse would jump so I saddled her up in a friends english saddle nad jumped her a couple times. Iv never had lessons or anything so I wanted to see how my natural position was. Critique away.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._3001744_n.jpg

MyBoyPuck 09-28-2010 07:23 PM

That's pretty **** good. If your horse disappeared from beneath you, you'd land on your feet still standing. Your heel could be more down, but your release is generous, back is flat other than a slight shoulder slouch and your'e looking ahead. Great job overall.

brighteyes08 09-28-2010 10:10 PM

I wouldn't really call that good, your basically standing up in the saddle as the horse is going over, your too far out of the saddle, your heels need to be down and your hands need to be up further on the horses neck. kudos to looking ahead of you though.

tealamutt 09-28-2010 10:41 PM

I think what MBP was saying is that the OP has a great natural position. Of course it needs work but for someone who hasn't been taught (which is definitely recommended and TSK where is your helmet??) she looks fairly natural. I definitely think you'd do great with some lessons under your belt. And that helmet... ;P

Eliz 09-28-2010 11:13 PM

[QUOTE=brighteyes08764789]I wouldn't really call that good[QUOTE]

Lmao @ your bluntness ;)

mom2pride 09-28-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brighteyes08 (Post 764789)
I wouldn't really call that good, your basically standing up in the saddle as the horse is going over, your too far out of the saddle, your heels need to be down and your hands need to be up further on the horses neck. kudos to looking ahead of you though.

Did you read her Original Post? She is a western rider, who has never jumped before...For someone who has never jumped a horse English before, I think she looks pretty darn good...is she perfect? NO...but aside from over jumping a bit, she's not that far off base, IMO.

sarahver 09-28-2010 11:57 PM

Good job trying out something new. Here are some tips though:

1.) You are waaaay too far out of the saddle and ahead of the motion, thank goodness your horse doesn't appear to be a head thrower as you would be missing your pearly whites. Your centre of gravity shouldn't be further ahead than the cantle and your butt doesn't need to be so far out of the seat. Think of just folding at the hips and bringing your butt slightly out of the saddle.

2.) Your leg has remained perpendicular to the ground - well done on that! I would like to see your stirrups raised a hole or two, your heels down a little and your toes pointing forwards.

3.) It seems like you are gripping at the knee, don't worry that is what most people are inclinded to do when they start over fences. However that is the last thing you want to do as it interferes with your lower leg position. Rather, think of anchoring your feet at the girth, opening your hip angle and barely touching the saddle with your knees, this will make it much easier to keep those heels down and toes forwards.

4.) Open your chest a little by not rolling your shoulders in too far, this helps create a more stable position and supports your back and neck.

Great work on looking ahead and well done for grabbing the mane so that you don't jab your trusty steed in the mouth. Good luck with the jumping, looks like you guys are having fun!