The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Please explain... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/please-explain-65906/)

GuitarChump 09-28-2010 08:22 PM

Please explain...

The function of the horse brushes. I've groomed horses about 1,000,000,000 times but still don't fully understand the use or order of the brushes. I've always done the shedding blade (if needed), rubber curry comb, soft brush, hard brush, and the super soft goat hair brush. That's how I was told to do it and that's what I do, but I want to know what each does and the order you use them in. Also, what is a face brush, stiff brush, body brush...? I know I'm leaving some out so feel free to add those in too.

smrobs 09-28-2010 08:57 PM

LOL, I wish I could help you out but I have never owned all those brushes. I feel it's pretty redundant. I have a shedding blade for springtime, a metal curry for thick mud, a hard brush for stubborn dirt or dried poop, and a soft brush for everything else. I always finish with the soft brush if I use one of the others too. I use both brushes on the legs and limit the face to the soft brush. If there is mud or stubborn dirt on the face, I work it loose with my fingers first before brushing. I like to keep things simple :D.

GuitarChump 09-28-2010 09:01 PM

Ok so I'm not crazy. From what I learned from the old lady you "MUST absolutely 100% ALWAYS do it in that order and it has to take 30 minutes to groom otherwise the horse couldn't possibly be clean.

smrobs 09-28-2010 09:04 PM

Well, keep in mind that I am just a lowly cowgirl that rides working horses and doesn't show, but I have been known to just brush off the big chunks of dirt with my hand before saddling for a hard day's work. LOL None of my horses have come up permanently dirty or anything else yet. The only drawback I've noticed is that I have to pressure wash my pads more often when I don't brush before riding.

countmystrides 09-28-2010 09:04 PM

our horses used to be so slick and shiny from daily brushing it took 3 minutes tops to go over them with a brush then clean their feet.. if a horse is seriously that dirty and needs that many brushes, i figure you're better off giving them a bath.

GuitarChump 09-28-2010 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countmystrides (Post 764670)
if a horse is seriously that dirty and needs that many brushes, i figure you're better off giving them a bath.

i agree. but if you tried to spray fly spray on them they would try and run you over. I didn't think it was wise to try a hose. haha

TurnNBurn625 09-28-2010 09:20 PM

ive always done rubber curry comb, hard brush, soft brush, body brush, mane and tail comb or brush, and hoof pick. curry comb is for mud. hard brush is to get the excess dirt under the coat. soft brush is to get the dirt on the coat. body brush is to get all the left over things. face brush is used for the face, its just a small soft brush. thats how i was taught. im sure everyone has different teaching methods.

OffTheTrack 09-29-2010 12:45 AM

Im freaky about grooming...its therapy and relaxing so I make it last longer. :)

First a rubber mit, then a stiff brush, medium brush and then a soft brush. Then use a towel to lay the hair down and pick up any extra dirt. Then use a detangler on mane and tail..brush/braid as needed. Fly spray and then pick hooves. Its a process lol.

Of course today I go to see Izzy and she had just rolled in mud. No time to bathe. It is really hard to clean a wet, dirty horse. I think I just moved the mud around :P

MissVycki 09-29-2010 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OffTheTrack (Post 764976)
Im freaky about grooming...its therapy and relaxing so I make it last longer. :)

First a rubber mit, then a stiff brush, medium brush and then a soft brush. Then use a towel to lay the hair down and pick up any extra dirt. Then use a detangler on mane and tail..brush/braid as needed. Fly spray and then pick hooves. Its a process lol.

Of course today I go to see Izzy and she had just rolled in mud. No time to bathe. It is really hard to clean a wet, dirty horse. I think I just moved the mud around :P

This is pretty much my grooming routine when they are reallly dirty. If not just a medium brush over the body, pick feet and go. Definitely use the softer brushes last though as they could be easily ruined by a lot of dirt and grime from off the coat.

PaintHorseMares 09-29-2010 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smrobs (Post 764669)
Well, keep in mind that I am just a lowly cowgirl that rides working horses and doesn't show, but I have been known to just brush off the big chunks of dirt with my hand before saddling for a hard day's work. LOL None of my horses have come up permanently dirty or anything else yet. The only drawback I've noticed is that I have to pressure wash my pads more often when I don't brush before riding.

We're like you. If we took 30 minutes brushing before a ride, we'd never have time to go and/or I would be too tired from all that work. Our mares get a 'complete' brushing every few weeks when I do their feet. Otherwise, just a quick brush of the saddle pad and cinch area with a stiff brush and some rubbing of their faces with my fingers to get the major stuff off before saddling up.