The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   chewing on the bit (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/chewing-bit-65914/)

lopez 09-28-2010 09:17 PM

chewing on the bit

Now, I'm not quite sure where this goes so I thought I'd post it here.

And perhaps chomping on the bit would sound better? :P I don't know which.

I cleaned all my gear yesterday so I didn't use Lopez's normal bridle, rather the other one which he came with (I obviously no longer use this one). The first thing I noticed while I was riding him was that he was constantly chewing on the bit, I could hear him chewing on it and feel it through the reins! Now when he has his other bridle on I don't hear it at all (Though I'm assuming he does chew on it, extremely lightly though). These different bridles have two different bits, a super thin one (the one he was chewing on) and a thicker one.

I was just wondering, Is chewing on the bit a good or bad thing? What does it mean if your horse does chew on the bit?

MightyEventer 09-28-2010 09:23 PM

now i ride english so if you are western this might be wrong but ill give it a shot!!

so my horse likes to play with his bit and stick his tongue out while im trying to ride him, so i use a flash---connects to the noseband to keep their mouth shut, helps out alott

some people say horses bit the bits because they "understand" or accept what you are trying to do..in my opinion the horses are just playing with it because they are bored, maybe your older bridle is more loose fitting? if so, the horse is more likely to play with it because it moves more freely

smrobs 09-28-2010 09:25 PM

Some horses just have a busy mouth. One thing to consider is that if you were using the same amount of rein pressure that you normally do, the thinner bit would be a bit sharper in his mouth than the fatter bit. You might try using less pressure and less contact when you ride him in the thinner bit.

lopez 09-28-2010 10:02 PM

I thought it might just be because he had settled on the other bit, Y'know? Something different in his mouth? Like you said to, It could be I was using to much pressure.

I was just super curious to know : )

smrobs 09-28-2010 10:06 PM

Yep, it's all good. Just the change can cause it. Shoot, mine will chew and fiddle around for a few minutes if I put them back into a snaffle simply because they aren't used to it LOL.