The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Any advice on long reining? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/any-advice-long-reining-65942/)

speedy da fish 09-29-2010 04:09 AM

Any advice on long reining?

I am doing an Equine course at university and some of it involves long reining, which i have never done before! Do any of you have any advice for me on it? do any of you do it? can i have some pictures? :) Thanks x

Alwaysbehind 09-29-2010 06:43 AM

I can not help you Speedy, I just started learning how to do this myself.

I look forward to the answers you get.

speedy da fish 09-30-2010 08:19 AM

me too!

momo3boys 09-30-2010 09:13 AM

I need to do this too! I ho0pe someone answers this...

Alwaysbehind 09-30-2010 09:15 AM

AB jumps around and waves her arms frantically in the the air and screams - Hey you people who know how to long line, come over here and talk to us, please!

NittanyEquestrian 09-30-2010 09:37 AM

This is difficult to answer. Are you long lining, ground driving, working in hand? Are you doing it to teach them to steer? To learn to carry themselves in correct frame before starting undersaddle training? Are you starting to teach them to drive? There are so many ways to "long line" that specifics would be nice to start.

Generally speaking you want a correctly fitting surcingle with lines at least 15 feet long and I prefer separate lines but they do make some that have a clasp like english reins that you can buckle them to make them easier to work with. You need a whip of some kind and gloves are important as well.

Now there is NO POINT in attempting to long line a horse unless you have established willing forward movement on the lunge line and while leading. A horse that won't go forward on the lunge line, more than likely won't go forward when long lining them.

To teach a horse I usually run the lines through the rings on the surcingle and lunge that way. This can get tricky because just like when riding a circle you need to balance your inside bend with your inside hand with holding the horse steady and straight with the outside rein/hand. Here is where willing forward movement from your body language and voice is super important because you only have two hands...Also, if you cannot maintain steady giving contact in the saddle then you need to long line a schoolmaster first so that they will be forgiving of your hands as your horse will become confused very fast if you can't keep the bend and straight on the circle. Then I progress to figure eights and changing rein and bend and then go on to serpentines and straight lines, which are very hard when you can't add leg to keep them straight,and then the more advanced things like leg yields and collection, etc.

Like I said before. If you give me specific questions or scenarios I could probably help more...

Alwaysbehind 09-30-2010 10:05 AM

Does the answer - Yes - work for your scenario question?

Laugh.

Probably not.

My attempt to learn is two fold.

1. Learning to drive.

2. To provide my old man exercise with out weight on his back that does not involve small circles (which he is not supposed to do), so I thought long line work about the property would be more betterer (yes, I know that is not a word) than just taking him for a walk.
Heck, you are never too old to learn something and doing it this way I thought it might help his top line too.
So, I am basically learning how to long rein. Horse knows how to lunge, has lunged lots in his life.

speedy da fish 09-30-2010 10:10 AM

Well I am learning to long rein. the horses i will be long reining will already know how to do it (hopefully). it is not that i am training them to do anything specific. I am being trained to do it for my course :L

NittanyEquestrian 09-30-2010 10:40 AM

AB- If he's solid on the lunge and small circles are out and he knows how to steer then yes just take him out. The biggest thing is to get a surcingle because if you do it with the lines through the stirrups then they can get their head down to their knees and brace and step on it and over it and all kinds of un-fun things. Long lining is basically dressage from the ground. On a good broke horse you can either do small taps with the sides of the long lines to get them to move forward, use your voice, tap with a driving/dressage whip or a combination. Basically figure out through trial and error if you have a patient horse. I like to be right up behind their hind end for collection and dressage work and back about 6 feet for just legging up and long and low stuff. You want to either be close to the hindquarters so they can't kick to the full reach before hitting you or back far enough to avoid the heels altogether. There's nothing worse than being 4 foot away from a hind end and getting hammered by a kick because that's the full range of that leg and it hurts much worse at full range. IF you hug the butt for a kick they'll nick you and knock you over but it won't be nearly as bad.

Speedy- Everyone does it and teaches it different. My best advice to you is to go into the class with an open mind and ask a ton of questions of your instructors. It's much better to learn from them for me to kind of explain how I do it and then get you confused for when they try to show you. Good luck though I love in-hand work!

Alwaysbehind 09-30-2010 10:42 AM

Which ring on the surcingle do I run the lines thru? Low or high or middle?