The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (
-   -   Hunter Classes (

SophieLee 09-29-2010 07:23 AM

Hunter Classes
I'm Australian and I have no experience with the word hunter, other than that it's a horseriding dicipline thing, and that they are people with guns.
What is a Hunter Class? Hack Class? Working Hunter? Hunter under saddle?
I just have no idea.
But it looks so fun.
I need education.

kcscott85 09-30-2010 06:47 PM

Hunter classes are usually over fences (although sometimes in hand or on the flat) and it's judged mostly on movement and manners.

PBritton2U 09-30-2010 08:30 PM


Originally Posted by SophieLee (Post 765070)
What is a Hunter Class?

In today's American lexicon, a "hunter class" usually refers to a jumping class where "manners" and the "way of go" are emphasised. No crazy, psycho horses allowed. Form is as important as a nice, steady "hunter pace". The jumps are usually composed of natural looking poles. I say usually because you will get the backyard show where you'll see crazy stripped poles and wild-looking panels. The jump course is usually something simple with no sharp turns or roll backs. Many people would consider a "hunter class" the same as a "working hunter" class.


Originally Posted by SophieLee (Post 765070)
Hack Class?

These are conducted on the rail only, no jumps.


Originally Posted by SophieLee (Post 765070)
Hunter under saddle?

Also known as a "hack" class. No fences. And don't expect a USEF "hunter under saddle" class to look the same as an AQHA (breed) show HUS classes. They're two different animals, although they should really be the same. Sigh. One day....


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0