The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Certified Organic Horse Feed - Opinions? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/certified-organic-horse-feed-opinions-65979/)

Carleen 09-29-2010 06:13 PM

Certified Organic Horse Feed - Opinions?

A bunch of people in my area have been raving about how fantastic this feed has been for them and how much they like it, so before I go ordering some I figured I'd get some outside opinions.

Here is the website: Genesis Certified Organic Horse Feed

Thanks!

corinowalk 09-29-2010 06:15 PM

The "organic" doesn't impress me as much as the "No Corn, No Molasses" does. Looks like a decent feed. Wheres PeggySue when ya need her?!

Speed Racer 09-29-2010 06:20 PM

The mixture looks fine, but since it's labeled 'organic', it's going to cost you an arm and a leg.

If you want to try it, there certainly isn't anything in it that would harm your horse.

As far as calming a horse down and helping with weight gain, good old reliable beet pulp will do the same thing without the costly price tag.

I give my horses a pelleted alfalfa based feed, along with beet pulp. They're sleek, shiny, and laid back. Taking them off sugar has helped tremendously. I didn't need expensive, 'organic' feed to make that happen.

Cori, Blue Seal Trotter has no corn in it, and just enough molasses to bind the pellets together. I think you can accomplish the same thing without the designer label and price tag.

corinowalk 09-29-2010 06:25 PM

I have my BO 'looking into' Blue seal as the freakin Strategy that they switched to is working for 3/4 of the horses...helping with coat and attitude...the other 1/4 is climbing the walls. I know one feed isn't going to work for 16 horses...but she is confident that she can find something that is a compromise.

Speed Racer 09-29-2010 06:30 PM

I seriously heart Blue Seal. Even their 'bad' feeds are better than most!

Peggysue 09-29-2010 06:34 PM

I like the no corn part of it ...

but looking at % and amounts to be fed you are gonna have to supplement with something for nutrition. Not sure of NSC of Peas though .. off to dig for that information.... I have honestly never seen it as horse feed ingredient

Peggysue 09-29-2010 06:38 PM

ok peas are not good for laminitis horses so that excludes them from my list of things I would feed ;) still searching for actual number though ..

Peggysue 09-29-2010 06:47 PM

HA found it

Research Summaries: Peas in Livestock Diets

Quote:

Feed peas have a relatively high and variable starch content (27-50% DM) making them a rich energy source for animals (Table 1) (Christensen et al. 1998). Starch is the main constituent in dehulled peas (Daveby et al. 1993). Synthesis of amylose and amylopectin, the two major components of starch, increases rapidly after the first third of seed dry matter is produced (Haeder 1989 as cited by Daveby et al. 1993,). The starch in wrinkled peas contains greater amounts of amylose (60-90%) in comparison to that of smooth peas (30-45%) (Otto et al. 1997). Flatus-producing sugars are common in grain legumes but are least troublesome in peas (Bond and Smith 1988). The oligosaccarides (% dry matter) present in dry peas include raffinose (0.6%), stachyose (1.9%) and verbascose (2.2%) (Saini 1989).
so nope I would not use this feed :)

Carleen 09-29-2010 07:01 PM

Thanks Peggysue! It's nice getting some scientific information about it.

Maybe I'll look into a pelleted alfalfa based feed as Speed Racer suggested.

Thanks for the help guys!

Peggysue 09-29-2010 09:17 PM

hmm being in CA maybe look into Ag Brand Purina's Equalizer or All Phase (Pennifield I think), there is another one up there ... then just add your calories in the form of rice bran or alfalfa pellets.