The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Rachael Alexandra retired (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/rachael-alexandra-retired-66065/)

wyominggrandma 09-30-2010 10:58 PM

Rachael Alexandra retired

I was shocked and saddened to read that Rachael has been retired.... Her last work was supposed to have been very very fast, but they retired her yesterday. She will be bred to Curlin. That should be an amazing foal if the genetics all work together.

Citrus 09-30-2010 11:02 PM

yeah an amazing foal allegedly... but why the retirement??????????????????????? I am saddened! She was amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

wyominggrandma 09-30-2010 11:24 PM

I guess it was all pretty surprising. Jess Jackson announced that she was retired and going to have a less hectic lifestyle. Nobody has said anything of injuries or anything, just retirement. Will sure miss watching her run, but at least we still have Zenyatta to watch race and she is also amazing

Spastic_Dove 09-30-2010 11:26 PM

I actually think this is pretty cool. Retire her while she's on top instead of running her until she can't anymore.

Amazing horse and I bet she'll have great babies.

wyominggrandma 09-30-2010 11:41 PM

Oh I agree, I will just miss watching her race. Here s hoping for super babies from her

ilyTango 10-01-2010 01:29 PM

Loved watching her run. I guess in a way it makes sense to retire her when she's on top-now she'll be remembered as "the great Rachel Alexandra" instead of a burnt-out has-been. Hope her and Curlin will have an awesome baby.
Posted via Mobile Device

Speed Racer 10-01-2010 01:34 PM

Wyoming, they do this with top earning stallions, so I'm not surprised they're doing it with her.

Since she's a breedable animal, she's worth more for the babies she can produce than the races she'll theoretically win.

Notice that geldings are never retired early. They race for a good number of years, because that's the only income they're going to generate.

It's a business decision based on income potential, nothing more.

wyominggrandma 10-01-2010 10:53 PM

Oh I know. They were just talking so much about her meeting Zenyatta for the breeders cup and how fast her workouts were, then boom, she is retired.

Personally I would rather see them retired and usable as brood/stallions than end up fracturing a leg or something. I worry everytime Zenyatta races, she is 6 and that is getting older for a racehorse

Regan7312 10-01-2010 11:04 PM

I am a Zenyatta fan..hince the avatar..but I did like watching Rachel run also..they are both gorgeous.