The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Opening up a tack shop (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/opening-up-tack-shop-66066/)

RachelAlexandra 09-30-2010 11:18 PM

Opening up a tack shop

Hey everyone,

I don't post here very often and all, I think the last time I posted was probably around 5 months ago, just not much time on my hands right now.

Does anyone here work at a tack shop? or own one? I own an online tack shop, but eventually, after Im done with college (in a couple of years) Im thinking about opening up a physical shop. So I had a few questions as Im working on my business plan.

Is there anything that you guys wish to see in your tack shops? (services and/or product) Is there something unique that your local tack shop does that you absolutely love?!?!? Im located in the southwest and do have competition as far as local shops go, one of the reasons why Im working on a super detailed business plan.
Like I said, I am in college right now, but will be out soon. I also train jumpers & dressage horses, which I will probably continue to do on a small scale.
Any other ideas? advice?

Thanks to all :D

Amir 09-30-2010 11:22 PM

My local tack shop has a saddle fitting service.

luvs2ride1979 10-01-2010 11:41 AM

Overhead with a physical shop is huge. You might consider having a mobile unit first, that you take to shows and events. So you can ease in to it.

ChevyPrincess 10-01-2010 12:53 PM

Have used tack. Not many people can dish out $500 for a new saddle or $40 for a new bridle.

We had a used tack place, but they moved out of town, so now, the only tack I get is either new, or I have to find it online. But I LOVE used tack stores becuase things are cheaper and a lot of times, you can clean them up and they are just as good as new.

AlexS 10-01-2010 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChevyPrincess (Post 767820)
Have used tack. Not many people can dish out $500 for a new saddle or $40 for a new bridle.

We had a used tack place, but they moved out of town, so now, the only tack I get is either new, or I have to find it online. But I LOVE used tack stores becuase things are cheaper and a lot of times, you can clean them up and they are just as good as new.

This is great advise. Our used tack store opened last year, then expanded so much they moved into a giant warehouse. They actually just put the new tack store up the road out of business.

Ray MacDonald 10-01-2010 06:09 PM

Well the only horsey store we have doesn't have a whole lot in it... not too many horse people around here I guess... But lots of stuff IN the store and not just be able to look at it in a catalog or something.

But a good mix of new and used tack would probably be best and people who actually know stuff about horses and the equipment.

VelvetsAB 10-01-2010 06:37 PM

I agree with the having used tack, but also make sure that you have new tack as well. One of the best tack stores around is run by the Mennonites and they have new and used. The used isn't just for saddles and bridles, but blankets, polos, boots, human clothes & boots, etc. Everything must be washed and in good condition, but stuff never stays in the basement long.

They also offer embroidery and engraving in store which I love. Another added bonus is blanket cleaning/washing/repair.

Since they are in a Mennonite area, they also have all their harness needs plus carry shoeing supplies.

Brubachers Harness Tack Shop is an online horse tack store in Ontario with English, Western, and Australian horse tack, English, Western, and Australian saddles, horse harness, driving harness, team harness, mini harness and more.

We have bigger brand name tack stores around, but these guys are great, and I love the service they give.

ilyTango 10-01-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VelvetsAB (Post 768141)
I agree with the having used tack, but also make sure that you have new tack as well. One of the best tack stores around is run by the Mennonites and they have new and used. The used isn't just for saddles and bridles, but blankets, polos, boots, human clothes & boots, etc. Everything must be washed and in good condition, but stuff never stays in the basement long.

They also offer embroidery and engraving in store which I love. Another added bonus is blanket cleaning/washing/repair.

Since they are in a Mennonite area, they also have all their harness needs plus carry shoeing supplies.

Brubachers Harness Tack Shop is an online horse tack store in Ontario with English, Western, and Australian horse tack, English, Western, and Australian saddles, horse harness, driving harness, team harness, mini harness and more.

We have bigger brand name tack stores around, but these guys are great, and I love the service they give.

I bought Tango's tack from that exact store...unless there's multiple Brubachers Tack Shops throughout Canada...but I agree, they do have great selection and service.

Amir 10-01-2010 10:33 PM

Used tack would be great. There's not a whole lot of used tack places where I am unless you're looking on line or want to pay a but load at the one place you can put your stuff on consignment.

wordstoasong 10-01-2010 11:40 PM

I have my own online tack shop (just handmade polos and saddle pads, no saddles or bridles really).

In order for me to buy tack, I have to travel 2 hours to Winnipeg for it or order online. There is no tack shop in my area. But when I go to Brandon, there are two shops, but not equipped with English really.