The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   What to expect in an assessment with new instructor? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/what-expect-assessment-new-instructor-66094/)

PurpleHorse 10-01-2010 12:26 PM

What to expect in an assessment with new instructor?

I am going to be changing instructors and she has told me that she will give me an assessment first. Now I'm wondered what that will involve? I rode many many years ago, but have only been taking lessons again for a few months. So I admit, I'm still very green.

The place I was taking lessons at never gave an assessment, but asked what I know how to do and put me on a horse.

So now I'm just curious what I can expect at my assesment?

TIA! :D

Speed Racer 10-01-2010 12:30 PM

She'll be testing you on what you know and how far along in your riding you are.

It's not a pass or fail assessment, she just wants to know where along the spectrum you fall, so she can base a lesson program tailored to your specific needs.

Every good professional should do this. Every time I've changed instructors, I've had to do the same thing.

My2Geldings 10-01-2010 01:38 PM

There really shouldn't be anything to worry about. As posted above, it's to assess how far along your training is, your strengths, your weaknesses. Take you through the phases, jump, flat, do some various work under saddle. It's a matter of testing to see what you guys need to work on.

JustPaint 10-01-2010 02:26 PM

I am going to be meeting someone this weekend about some lessons. I don't know if she does assessments or not but its a good heads up.

haleylvsshammy 10-01-2010 02:27 PM

Same thing that everyone else has said... just seeing how far along you are in your training. Pretty much every instructor I've gone to has had me do it. It makes it so that the first lesson might not be as "fun" because you might not be doing all that much besides going over basics. By the second lesson, though, it is much more fun because you aren't being re-taught what you already know.

All it really does is make it a lot better so that you aren't learning the same thing over and over again. Have fun!