The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Animal jobs? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/animal-jobs-66113/)

twogeldings 10-01-2010 04:48 PM

Animal jobs?

I seriously considered becoming a large-animal Veterinarian today. Unfortunately, the 8-10 year schooling is rather...undoable :shock: Not to mention my pretty poor school performance.

So, I'm looking into other animal careers. I looked into going to William Woods to become a horse trainer, but I don't want to work for some big farm. Vet is out with 8 frikkin' years of schooling (IF. I were to get accepted into the program). I don't want to do vet technician work, seeing as it would require working in an office....

Finding a decent career working and caring for animals while remaining independent is like trying to go to the moon in a wooden barrel.
My dad said that veterinarian work would be perfect for me-I've done extensive care with many different species, I'm capable of identifying and treating different illnesses, I'm not afraid to treat serious injuries, and I find the field extremely fascinating.

But 8 years? I'd rather stick to pursing Falconry and leatherworking :?

Amba1027 10-01-2010 04:52 PM

I was having this discusion with my farrier this morning. He said he wanted to be a vet but didn't want to do all the schooling so he became a farrier instead.

twogeldings 10-01-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amba1027 (Post 768110)
I was having this discusion with my farrier this morning. He said he wanted to be a vet but didn't want to do all the schooling so he became a farrier instead.

Farrier work is out :-( I broke my back back in '06 and I'm 'not supposed to lift more than five pounds' (I break that rule daily). I can handle lifting and general strain, but the constant strain of bending over associated with farrier work would cripple me. I've had it get to points where I couldn't get out of bed because my back would seize up because I overworked it by shoveling or whatever.

Amba1027 10-01-2010 05:32 PM

Oh yeah that's definitely no good then. Hmmm... I don't know of anything that you could make a living at. Just part time type things. Vet is obviously the big one and when you cut that out there's not much left. Not that I can think of anyway. Maybe someone else will have some ideas.

Brithorse1996 10-01-2010 05:46 PM

Why don't you study Vetrineary research and medicine, or maybe become an overall medince research thing person (sorry my mind is off today)

http://www.rcvs.org.uk/Templates/Int...4?NodeID=94459

lilruffian 10-01-2010 05:47 PM

I'd say vet assistant (i think you only have to go for 4 years lol) or perhaps an animal chiropractor. You could try horse training & just take on clients from your home/go to theirs. Breeding is also another option but you do need money to get started & be able to make a profit from it...

Tennessee 10-01-2010 06:30 PM

Vet seems to be more trouble than it is worth in the long run. I wanted to be one for the longest time, but it was seriously a pipe dream for me. Also, if you have my luck, large animal veterinarians only make about $45,000 a year around where I live, even though Tennessee has livestock everywhere.

Basically, if you want a high paying, active job with animals then you are going to have to go to school for quite a few years unless you get lucky. Otherwise, you are looking at dirty work and a low salary.

If you have an interest in wildlife, you should look into zoologist/wildlife management. They study these species and try their best to help the endangered species. You'd get to travel lots of different places and learn about more species of animals than you could imagine. I have a cousin that does this, and she has absolutely fell in love with this job. I believe she told me you start off not making very much, but then with experience your pay increases to a fair amount. You need a minimum of a bachelor's to do this job.

Also, you should look into humane law enforcement officers a.k.a animal cops. You would be helping animals in such a tremendous way.

lilruffian 10-01-2010 06:46 PM

Yes, being a vet is something you have to love to do because it doesn't pay much (i know most people think they make a fortune like doctors, but they dont) A lady i know went through the first 4 years of vet school & then dropped out because she said it wasn't worth it. Now she works part time as a vet assistant & a 911 dispatcher in the city!

AdrienneS 10-01-2010 07:04 PM

What about running a stable? Or a vet assistant, is Saskatchewan thats only 2 years? or Animal nutritionest (sorry for my spelling english was my worst! lol)

RedTree 10-01-2010 10:09 PM

I have the same problem, I have wanted to be a vet for the longest time, but with the really high score and 5 years or so at uni, I thought against it.
i think i am going to do zooligst or animal conservation depending on what one i get into to :)