The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Paint/Pinto Show Questions! Some pics :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/paint-pinto-show-questions-some-pics-6614/)

mayfieldk 03-04-2008 11:27 PM

Paint/Pinto Show Questions! Some pics :)

I have a few questions about showing at the Paint/Pinto World shows. I have a bay paint gelding that I'm training, but I'm afraid I'm doing all of this on my own, in terms of showing. I've never been to either the Paint or Pinto World show, and was wondering if anyone could describe their first experiences?? It seems overwhelming, if you've never gone before!!
My main questions: my gelding is really coming along in his training, but he's curious and likes to look around sometimes (not anything excessive). He has a naturally low headset, but does anyone have tips to help him stay focused on me? I think he could go to the Pinto/Paint world show, but I can't see him walking into one of those arenas and looking as calm as all the horses I've seen! Do they let you work in those arenas before the class... or what? Like I said, I've never taken my own horse there!
Two: My gelding is kind of short--15.2-15.3, but has /exceptional/ hunter movement. Has anyone seen short horses do well in the hunter undersaddle classes, or hunter hack classes? He does well at local shows, but.. Dunno!
Anything is welcome, even grooming stuff. I know the basics (actually, I went to the University of Findlay for a year and a half for the western program), but any tips and tricks are good too!
Pics of my boy--feel free for constructive comments!
http://s246.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=IMG_0398.jpg
And dear LORD, how can I get him to shed out faster?? lol!

.Delete. 03-05-2008 12:16 PM

I don't know anything about Pinto Worlds. Im a QH person, but i do know how to get a horse to shed out fast. Body clippppp. Then soak him in coat conditioner so his coat will grow back nicer and quicker.

Harlee rides horses 03-05-2008 02:40 PM

To keep him focused on you, give him random cues at random times. Nothing that is out of the ordinary. Just like while your showing or whatever riding in general, give him a cue to slow down a little not a different gait but enough to have his ears back on you. You know he's paying attention to you when his ears are on you. Or if you don't want to give cues, talk to him quiet enough that only he can hear you.

Cheval 03-05-2008 03:42 PM

I have no experience whatsoever with the Paint/Pinto Show World (I'm a jumper/dressage rider myself), but I'll try my best to help you.
Problem one: I'm not sure if you can do this (I know you can't do this in dressage), but could you possibly talk to him a bit? Like say, "Come on," or cluck to him? That could help. Of course you could do that while schooling, but at shows it could be different.
Problem two: I think he'll be fine (height wise) as long as he's good confo wise. Or, unless there is some sort of breed standards for the shows.

And for the shedding..you could curry him a lot, or maybe even give him a clip. But you'll need a blanket if you're going to clip him.

mayfieldk 03-05-2008 07:14 PM

Heehee, thanks everyone!
I do talk to him (we can as long as we're quiet! lol). He knows lots of little cues, (like to move his haunches in or his shoulders while traveling... maybe I stole some dressage techniques :) ) But he's just curious... like, if I'm going down the rail and someone gets up in the stands or something, he'll just casually look over to check what it is. Maybe it'll disappear with more training?
I'm currying the crap out of him! lol and he also has an amigo blanket on him to attempt to help.

sandsarita 03-05-2008 08:40 PM

For his attention, something my trainer had me do was "take his head away." If you have good control of his entire body you should be able to dictate where his head is. When warming up or the first time in the arena, I will ask for and expect that they keep their head down lower than you want in the class. The arenas in Tulsa and Ft Worth (I'm assuming that is where the shows still are at) are coliseums so they have solid walls going up. By keeping their head down initially you are making them pay attention to you and kinda blocking what they can see up above their head. After you have them listening, let his head come back up to it's normal location for showing.

Another thing for attention is lots of transitions, and really making them work instead of just going around on the rail. Have him prepared for anything. I would recommend schooling on him at some of you local shows, or even any show you go to up to the Worlds. What I would do is if my horse messes up, or acts up, correct him like you would at home and make them get their attention come back to you. For example - if I asked for a trot off in an equitation pattern and he cantered, I would pull him down hard to a stop, back up, and then ask him to trot off again. Yes, I won't place in that class, but they will remember the next time you are in there that you will still correct them in the show pen. It works, trust me. You can do similar things on the rail as long as you don't have anybody behind you and you don't interfere with the class.

For the arenas, they should have scheduled times you can get in their and school. They will not be convenient times, though, often overnight and before the show starts.

For his height, I can't say for the english stuff at paint/pinto. He is too short for a QH HUS class, but would be fine in an equitation class. But each breed is different.

For grooming, make sure you really, really learn how to braid well or expect to pay for a good braiding job. You will want it there.

Hope that helps some, let me know if you have any more questions.

JustDressageIt 03-05-2008 08:51 PM

I just took a quick glance at your picture, and the one thing that popped out at me is that he was in front of the vertical - you want him on the vertical.. obviously not in front of or behind it.

I have no experience with the Paint/Pinto world, so I can't say much other than good luck!

My2Geldings 03-05-2008 11:42 PM

It's insane, that horse looks like my 3 year old. That is a lovely horse :D 8)

JustDressageIt 03-05-2008 11:53 PM

Just one more thing: your leg seems to slip back and your heel pops up - make sure you keep your leg under you and heel down :)

mayfieldk 03-06-2008 01:07 AM

Sandsarita, that helps a lot! Thanks :)

And yeah, sometimes he pops his head above the vertical...good for western pleasure a bit, not for huntseat! lol

And yeah, my leg does slip back, hehe thanks! I didn't notice it in those pictures because sometimes I focus on the horse too much... I shortened the stirrups a hole and look at me, I'm a mess! LOL! (Yup, I've been riding western for two years, can't you tell?? :lol: )