The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Meet the Community (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/)
-   -   Adult first-time rider from North Carolina (http://www.horseforum.com/meet-community/adult-first-time-rider-north-carolina-66182/)

MsKibibi 10-02-2010 04:44 PM

Adult first-time rider from North Carolina

Hi everyone!

I'm an ultimate newbie to the forum and to riding horses. I just started taking lessons this summer for the first time in my life at the tender age of 28 :wink: Riding horses was one of those sports my parents were too scared to let me try. So now that I'm an adult, I figured it was better late than never to learn. I take English lessons once a week and my personal goal is to learn how to jump.

This forum has been very helpful to me and I look forward to learning from and sharing with everyone.

WickedNag 10-03-2010 09:26 AM

Yay!!! Welcome to the forum. My neighbor started taking lessons at the age of 40 and is just starting to jump this year!

PaintHorseMares 10-03-2010 11:49 AM

Welcome from the Paint mares in Hillsborough, NC! We're sure you'll find riding very rewarding and enjoyable.

MsKibibi 10-03-2010 02:39 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome!

WickedNag - Thanks for sharing. I find that very encouraging.

iloverascal777 10-05-2010 09:15 PM

Hey welcome to the forum! Congrats to you and learning to ride! :D Keep updating us and let us know how it's going!

tinyliny 10-06-2010 01:15 AM

28 is a tender age?

I guess you meant that 28 was OLD to start riding? Come on, give me a break! I started at 41 . By the time you are 41 you'll be an Olympian.
Anyway, just kiddin' ya. Welcome and keep us posted onhow it's going, ne?

MsKibibi 10-06-2010 02:26 AM

Well i'm pleasantly surprised to find other people who did not start riding at the age of 5 lol. My impression was that most people started at a very young age. I actually met another English rider today who started at 45. She is now 61 (she looks fabulous for 61, mind you) and is now learning dressage. I felt very inspired and encouraged by that. It is never too late to learn something new.

When I or my husband tell people that I just started riding lessons they are so shocked that they can't stop saying "really?" repeatedly lol. I love surprising people like that.

My lessons are going great so far. I started a thread asking about taking English lessons on a Western saddle here In a nutshell, I was riding on a Western saddle but will start lesson on an English saddle next week. I'm so excited! Next week can't get here fast enough. Once the weather gets warm again, I plan to take lessons twice a week (if my work schedule permits).