The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Law (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/)
-   -   What would you do? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-law/what-would-you-do-66207/)

SweetZippinChip 10-02-2010 11:54 PM

What would you do?

Hi all,

I recently bought a mare. After buying her I found several things the owner did not tell me or lied about. First off, she said she paid $7500 for her almost 3 years ago, but in truth she got her for free from a friend. Not such a huge deal, the mare is bred well and I love her. But, I bought her for my 9 yr old daughter. She girl knows that I plan to send the mare to a triner in the spring for a 60 day tune-up and lessons for my daughter. I found out that when the mare was previously stalled, she showed alot of agression and would try to bite passerbys walking past her stall, this girl knew the mare would be stalled for shows. Also, the biggest thing to me. The mare had OCD and had surgery on her right hind ankle. She seems to be fine now, but 60 days of training may be to strenous depending on how the mare healed. What would you all do? I have tried to call the girl to ask why I was not informed of all this, but she doesn't answer her phone?!?

ShutUpJoe 10-02-2010 11:57 PM

Unless you have a contract I don't think there is much you can do....

Solon 10-02-2010 11:58 PM

She should have disclosed everything. I'd be more concerned about the injury and stress from showing than anything. Do you live far away? Send her a certified letter if she won't answer your phone.

I think she knows you've found out about the horse since it appears she's not returning your phone calls.

Did you get a vet check prior to buying the horse?

Citrus 10-03-2010 12:02 AM

This is exactly why you get everything in writing (such as the seller acknowledges these current or past injuries) and why we get a prevet check. I would keep on the lady even if you don't have these things, but it will be your convincing power versus her ability to not do what is right.....

Sunny 10-03-2010 12:08 AM

Did you not get a pre-purchase exam?

SweetZippinChip 10-03-2010 01:01 AM

I thought abut a pre-purchase exam, but decided to go ahead and buy her. I do have a contract. So far we have not had any problems with the mare, she is great! I am just worried if she comes up sore after training, or if she starts having behaviors when stalled again, my daughter would not be able to handle it.

Solon 10-03-2010 01:36 AM

Then you need to deal with whatever you are going to do now and not later.

Always, always get a vet check. This may end up being a hard lesson learned.

Alaskadraft 10-03-2010 02:15 AM

YOu could some more research and find out if the other barn had someone teasing her making her lash out...Personally I think stalled horses become head cases especially when left in the barn for long periods of time without much runout. This problem might have started up when she was injured and stalled for long periods of time...

As far as her leg..YOU should always have a horse you purchase vet checked. So many people dope horses nowadays to try and sell them..Is anything in your contract state that the horse is sound??? If so ...involve a lawyer.

Chris

haleylvsshammy 10-03-2010 04:04 PM

You said you don't have a contract. Does that also mean you don't have a bill of sale? Without one, the horse isn't yours, it's still hers. I would continue to try to contact her. Good luck.

ShutUpJoe 10-03-2010 05:00 PM

You do have a contract? What does it say about soundness?