The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   i want 2 learn 2 ride (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/i-want-2-learn-2-ride-6621/)

crip1984 03-05-2008 02:07 AM

i want 2 learn 2 ride

hi every 1 my names david im 23 and want 2 start learning how 2 ride. now the problem i have is that i have a disability so normal riding school can't teach me yet when i went 2 ask a school that helps ppl with disabilitie they treated me like i was really dumb. wat i wanna know is there any1 in australia that would give me a fair chance and teach me in private lessons. i don't care where i have 2 travel or wat i have 2 pay this is a thing i really wat 2 learn :D because 1 day i want 2 own my own station :)

thanks every1

Coastie 03-05-2008 06:26 AM

Hi David,

Try here:

http://www.rda.org.au/

Coastie

jazzyrider 03-05-2008 08:32 AM

Re: i want 2 learn 2 ride

Quote:

Originally Posted by crip1984
hi every 1 my names david im 23 and want 2 start learning how 2 ride. now the problem i have is that i have a disability so normal riding school can't teach me yet when i went 2 ask a school that helps ppl with disabilitie they treated me like i was really dumb. wat i wanna know is there any1 in australia that would give me a fair chance and teach me in private lessons. i don't care where i have 2 travel or wat i have 2 pay this is a thing i really wat 2 learn :D because 1 day i want 2 own my own station :)

thanks every1

where abouts in australia are you?

JustDressageIt 03-05-2008 11:23 AM

That's great, David! I'm overseas from you, so I can't really help, but I hope you find something! Keep searching, you'll find a good stable :)

FGRanch 03-05-2008 12:07 PM

I really hope that you find somewhere! :)

crip1984 03-05-2008 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coastie
Hi David,

Try here:

http://www.rda.org.au/

Coastie

hey thank 4 the site but i already tried them they treated me like i was dumb like i was 4 :(

crip1984 03-05-2008 08:50 PM

Re: i want 2 learn 2 ride

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzyrider
Quote:

Originally Posted by crip1984

thanks every1

where abouts in australia are you?

hey im from sydney but atm in perth. atm im willing 2 go anywhere because i wanna travel while i can

wild_spot 03-05-2008 09:17 PM

I know what your talking about, I'm friends with a lady called Bunty, she is english and came to Australia a long time ago, been riding all her life. she was instrumental in establishing Pegasus in canberra, which is a riding for the disabled place. she used to run lessons and really got it going, would get the riders out and about playing games, etc. she had to leave for a while, and recently she went back to vulunterr, apparently it has all changed, all they do is lead them around the indoor arena in endless circles. she was told of because she wans't 'leading the horse correctly' and she tried to play games with the riders, take them out of the arena, and they ended up kicking her out, even though she was pretty much one of the founders. a lot of the problem nowadays is with insurance, and also people in charge who either don't understand that people with disabilities are actually very able, if you give them a chance, or they are simply stuck in their ways. I think your best bet would be to try and find someone who would be willing to let you ride their own horses, away from a proper institution. obviously someone experienced, with a quiet horse. I would love to do it, but I live in canberra and don;t have much time at the mooment, but i know there are plenty of people who would jump at the chance to one get their horse excercised, and two help someone else discover the joy of riding :] good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for!

crip1984 03-05-2008 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild_spot
I know what your talking about, I'm friends with a lady called Bunty, she is english and came to Australia a long time ago, been riding all her life. she was instrumental in establishing Pegasus in canberra, which is a riding for the disabled place. she used to run lessons and really got it going, would get the riders out and about playing games, etc. she had to leave for a while, and recently she went back to vulunterr, apparently it has all changed, all they do is lead them around the indoor arena in endless circles. she was told of because she wans't 'leading the horse correctly' and she tried to play games with the riders, take them out of the arena, and they ended up kicking her out, even though she was pretty much one of the founders. a lot of the problem nowadays is with insurance, and also people in charge who either don't understand that people with disabilities are actually very able, if you give them a chance, or they are simply stuck in their ways. I think your best bet would be to try and find someone who would be willing to let you ride their own horses, away from a proper institution. obviously someone experienced, with a quiet horse. I would love to do it, but I live in canberra and don;t have much time at the mooment, but i know there are plenty of people who would jump at the chance to one get their horse excercised, and two help someone else discover the joy of riding :] good luck, I hope you find what you're looking for!

thats 4 that :P
thats wat i wanna do find sumone who has a horse and is experienced willing 2 giv me a shot

wild_spot 03-06-2008 01:15 AM

I really do hope you find someone!
you seem like a nice person :]