The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Unresponsive Horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/unresponsive-horse-66220/)

Snookeys 10-03-2010 02:44 AM

Unresponsive Horse

What would you guys do for an unresponsive horse on the ground? I mean a horse that doesn't respond to whips, sticks, or clicks. One that likes to run you over, too, and does not respond to you trying to point their nose away from you. No roundpens allowed!

Go go go!

HorseRLife 10-03-2010 03:06 AM

Do you have a rope halter? That helps. I know this sounds mean but if the horse tries to bardge over you take a frim grip on the leadrope and back them up, if they move mover them back to where they were standing. Keep doing this until they learn to respect your space. And if they don't respond make if sharp yanks with the rope halter. I hope this helps you.

AlexS 10-03-2010 03:10 AM

I would start back at the beginning with accepting a halter and then basic leading skills. I would ask her to do it nicely or if not it is going to be more work for her. This should gain sime respect from her, and so make future lessons easier.
From there I would get as big as needed, I would wave my hands and a lead rope or whip to get her moving in a free schooling exercise.

This might not sit well with some people but if a lot of waving and big movements does not work, I would whack her with the whip or rope. I would not do this over and over but it is important to remember that a horse of this size can kill you and when you try the nice and gentle approach first, and it does not work, you HAVE to be in charge.

PaintHorseMares 10-03-2010 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 769203)
I would start back at the beginning with accepting a halter and then basic leading skills.

I agree with this. If you have a horse that is taking your space and running you over on the ground, you're going to have problems doing anything else until you fix that. Start simple and from the beginning, and progress as slowly or quickly as your horse responds.

mbender 10-03-2010 07:24 AM

Got a question, is she a dominant mare? Actually, is she THE dominant mare?
Posted via Mobile Device

franknbeans 10-03-2010 07:46 AM

Agree with starting at the beginning, but if she is ignoring you, you are not putting enough pressure on her. Start with asking, then gradually escalate your pressure (with your whip or whatever) until she does what you want. As soon as she does, back off immediately. Next time it will take less pressure I would bet. But you have to step up and match her or she will continue to take advantage. And-remember-this may not be a one time lesson. She will most likely test you from time to time.

Good luck!

MaggiStar 10-03-2010 10:06 AM

It will take a long time so you must start at the begining like he knows nothing.

Charis 10-03-2010 10:15 AM

It depends. What behaviors is the horse exhibiting? Why have you needed whips and the like? What exactly do you want fixed?
Posted via Mobile Device

Beling 10-03-2010 03:02 PM

The very VERY FIRST THING is to get her attention. Do not do anything until she is looking at you. (I know that sometimes this is very hard, but many is the time I've started something, without first getting my horse's attention--it doesn't get you anywhere.)

LJohnson 10-04-2010 12:08 AM

Great advice from Beling. You've got to get the horse's attention first, then consistent responses to you ques. I worked with a QH several years ago that was fairly unresponsive at first. After ruling out any pain or discomfort, I worked really hard to get him to pay attention to me. I was feeling guilty that he would take so much pressure from me before reacting. Gradually he learned that once he responded, the pressure went away. I knew a bit about where this horse came from, and was able to speculate about his thought process.

What do you know of the horse's history? You mentioned the horse will "run you over" - how are you reacting to that if the horse doesn't respect any typical extension tools? Why no round pen work?

Be careful and apply the recommendations posted here. What may seem like an inconvenience now can quickly become very dangerous if not addressed ASAP.