The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Another saddle fit question (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/another-saddle-fit-question-66225/)

Normal Guy 10-03-2010 06:32 AM

Another saddle fit question

I recently purchased a 5 year old Tennessee Walker. He has a very wide back and low withers. I recently noticed that my gaited saddle was pinching his withers which is clearly causing him discomfort. The hair in those areas has turned gray. I decided to try a full QH bar saddle on him. Even it pinches and rubs on his withers. I have considered the following other options: A Haflinger tree saddle, a treeless saddle (likely a Bob Marshall), or an Arab tree saddle. I am told that the Arab tree has front bars with a flatter angle than even the Full QH saddle would have, so they might not be as likely to pinch his withers. Any suggestions as to which direction I should go with this problem? Thanks!

rumba12 10-03-2010 07:46 AM

Do you have any kind of tack store with a saddle fitter in your area? If you do, I would start by asking their help.
If not, I'd suggest taking tracings and then contact a couple of online saddle makers/fitters for long distance help. You can buy and try saddles until you are poor but it's a little more productive to take his specific measurements and have someone help you match them to an appropriately sized saddle.

Normal Guy 10-04-2010 04:42 AM

Unfortunately, there is no tack shop within driving distance of my home. As far as measuring the horse is concerned, I am frankly not sure how to effectively measure a horse for saddle fit. I can perform a wire tracing of his withers profile, but that falls well short of what must be considered for good overall saddle fit in my mind. I would be pleased to learn of any other measuring techniques that would help me determine what type of saddle would best fit my horse. Thanks!

horseluver250 10-04-2010 10:41 AM

Not sure what you want to spend on a saddle, but try Dixieland Gaited Saddles- Walking Horse Saddles and In Stock Styles. They have fit forms that you can try on your horse before buying a saddle.

CharliGirl 10-04-2010 07:04 PM

This site might help if you are looking at saddles for your horse in person...if you are ordering online, this might not be as helpful.

wither tracing

ponyboy 10-04-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by horseluver250 (Post 770242)
Not sure what you want to spend on a saddle, but try Dixieland Gaited Saddles- Walking Horse Saddles and In Stock Styles. They have fit forms that you can try on your horse before buying a saddle.

I thought gaited horse saddles were supposed to have flatter seats to make using seat aids easier?