The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   sports i can get my senior mare into? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/sports-i-can-get-my-senior-66235/)

site4pets 10-03-2010 12:11 PM

sports i can get my senior mare into?

I have a 15-20 year old mare, she rides western, English and bareback. I want to get her into a sport, she is a little clumsy, but completely healthy. Can anyone recommend a sport? I might compete in that sport depending on what it is, but it will mostly just be for fun, so nothing serious. I'm teaching her to neck rein and side pass, and she knows how to back up, turn, walk/trot/ canter and i have NEVER galloped her. I was thinking about getting her into jumping but she stops right before the jump, and either avoids it or walks over it, (i always do small trotting cross jumps)

Thanks in advance:D

Shalani 10-03-2010 12:26 PM

If it's just for fun then pretty much anything you like apart from endurance lol

Tennessee 10-03-2010 12:36 PM

Agreed with above. Pretty much everything, considering she is in the right shape and enjoys it.

If you are looking for something really casual, look into competitive trail riding. It's fun. I do it sometimes.

Shalani 10-03-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tennessee (Post 769436)
Agreed with above. Pretty much everything, considering she is in the right shape and enjoys it.

If you are looking for something really casual, look into competitive trail riding. It's fun. I do it sometimes.

Oooooh I have wanted to try that ! Just not into the "show" seen anymore lol

Brighteyes 10-03-2010 12:54 PM

Competitive trail would be fun. :D The people are the best, the horses are always nice, and the trails are breathtaking! It's a great escape from everything. Also, prep work is pretty straight forward. Your horse has to be in some shape (most horses can do a one day, 15 mile ride without much conditioning), you must be able to mount without her moving, sidepass (sort of optional, but very good for your score cards), and cross logs/creeks/ditches. That, plus some basic trail sense, will be all you need for a novice one-day ride.

Seriously, check it out!

site4pets 10-03-2010 01:17 PM

Thanks everyone, yeah i figured no endurance, 50-300 mile tracks, yeah i didnt think she could do that:D keep 'em coming!

:-)

Beling 10-03-2010 03:55 PM

If you get a chance, try calf sorting (I think it's called.) I've watched it and it looks like fun.

PaintHorseMares 10-03-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by site4pets (Post 769408)
I have a 15-20 year old mare, she rides western, English and bareback. I want to get her into a sport, she is a little clumsy, but completely healthy. Can anyone recommend a sport?

Yikes, don't let our 16 yr old penner lead mare hear you call that a 'senior' age !!!

site4pets 10-03-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 769590)
Yikes, don't let our 16 yr old penner lead mare hear you call that a 'senior' age !!!

Well i read that 12 years and up are senior, but i really dont believe that, she acts like a clumsy 5 year old!

equiniphile 10-03-2010 06:11 PM

WHAT?! 12 and up? Geez! In human years that's anyone above 25! I consider 20+ senior. Competetive trail riding sounds fun, I might try getting into that with my 23-yr old guy.