The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Horses that haven't been rode for a few years (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/horses-havent-been-rode-few-years-66250/)

Shannon T 10-03-2010 03:53 PM

Horses that haven't been rode for a few years

Hello everyone I am new on here and new of being a horse owner we just added 2 new quarter horses to our family! These horse haven't been rode for a while Zan is 14 and hasn't been rode for a couple years and Blaze is 12 and hasn't had a saddle on him for 5 years at least. We saddled them both with the people we are buying them from and Zan did pretty good when I rode him he kicked up a few times and wanted to be the one in charge they both are neck reighned but not being rode for so long are a little rusty. Blaze we didn't know how he would do even getting a saddle on him we were very pleased he did great. My husband and I both got on him (seprately) and lead him around I was very pleased at how well he did for not even having a saddle on him for so long! I am going to just work with them slowly and get them used to being rode again does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for me on anything to do with them. I rode some when I was younger but never had a horse of my own and it's been 15 years + since I have rode it felt great being back in a saddle and looking forward to going riding again! Thanks for any imputs anyone might have! :-)

BarrelracingArabian 10-03-2010 04:04 PM

First thing would be to get an instructor to help you out incase you run into problems with them. Second just work slowly work on getting them flexing and working nicely for you. Do lots of circles and maybe even some trot poles and such but have fun with it make different obstacle courses for them so they are shown everything possible treat them almost as if they are completely being started so you get a good bond going with them.
Good luck!!
:]

AdrienneS 10-03-2010 04:23 PM

I would recommend doing some ground exercises. It will show them that your the alpha and they will be more willing to listen/trust you while your riding. It will also give you a boost of confidence getting to know them without risking being injured. You can even make it fun and bombproof at the same time by adding in objects (tarps, bags, water, etc..). Good luck!

Shannon T 10-04-2010 09:17 AM

Thanks for the ideas! :)