The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Will I be able to compete? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/will-i-able-compete-66260/)

laurenxo 10-03-2010 06:05 PM

Will I be able to compete?

Hi, I have been riding for around 5 months at an english stable now however I am already 15. I can walk, trot, canter and trot over ground poles. Do you think I will ever get to the stage that I can ride competitively or have I started to late. I know it will be a while before I can but I am just wondering. Thanks :)

smrobs 10-03-2010 06:15 PM

There is no such thing as too late to start. There are many of the top riders in the horse world who didn't even start riding until they were in their 20's. You just have to push yourself to be the best that you can all the time.

Spyder 10-03-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by laurenxo (Post 769708)
Hi, I have been riding for around 5 months at an english stable now however I am already 15. I can walk, trot, canter and trot over ground poles........................have I started to late. I know it will be a while before I can but I am just wondering. Thanks :)

Oh my God and you think 15 is OLD !!!!

I didn't START riding until I was 25.

laurenxo 10-03-2010 07:56 PM

Thanks for your replies. I thought that 15 was late because I am surrounded by people that are 9 or 10 and jumping.

VelvetsAB 10-03-2010 08:52 PM

The first time I ever showed I was 24....last year. I compete against a lot of kids, but you know what, some days they deserve the ribbon, and other days I deserve it. It is just how it is.

There are quite a few other threads on this topic actually. I think someone said they were over 50 when they started to ride....not sure if they are going to show, but if they can start riding at that young age, I am sure you will be fine at 15.

flamingauburnmustang 10-04-2010 07:33 AM

My one instructor only started riding after school, and she's 27 now, and she's an excellent rider. And anyway, she only went to her first show 2 years ago, not because she lacked ability before that, but because she couldn't have been bothered to go to a show if it wasn't for us asking her to. :wink:

Also, I'd say cantering and going over trot poles after only 5 months of riding is pretty darn good. Sometimes it takes ages for people to reach that stage, so be happy with the pace you are learning at. At the rate you are going, it shouldn't be too long before you can start showing. :smile:

Kayty 10-05-2010 01:07 AM

15 is till super young mate, don't stress yourself! As long as you are determined to learn and take as much advice as you can possibly soak up, then youre well on your way :)
A friend of mine didn't start riding until she was in her 40's, and for the first 5 years of riding she simply wandered around a paddock as they were living 'in the middle of no-where'. She now competes at FEI level dressage, and quite well too!
Never say never ;)

Saskia 10-05-2010 02:01 AM

You can compete whenever you like - though whether you'll be competitive is a different story.

I don't think you are too old - remember a lot depends on the horse. What type of competition are you thinking about?