The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/)
-   -   Morgan Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding-critique/morgan-conformation-critique-66282/)

potterspoet 10-03-2010 11:37 PM

Morgan Conformation Critique

4 Attachment(s)
This is Jigger, a full blooded Morgan, who is incredibly out of shape and quite herd-bound, but I am curious about his conformational quality and the likelihood that he is of the quality to show.

Solon 10-04-2010 12:12 AM

Thank you for good pictures!!

What is the age and what do you want to show him in?

I will say it's one of the widest standing horses in the front I've seen. Is that his normal stance? I like his head. Good eyes, good size nostrils. Nice neck. But once you get to the hind quarters it kind of falls a part, he could use a lot more muscling there. It could be just that particular picture though.

I'd like to see more pictures, from the other side as well and try to get him as squared as you can. Something looks odd about his hind legs, but it could be how he is standing.

Iseul 10-04-2010 07:46 AM

Compared to other Morgans I've seen he looks nice, more defined head and neck though, which is nice.
As for his hind, I think it's how he's -not- standing. A side shot of him stacked out would be better for judging that, I think, because it's their breed standard.
He does seem really wide in the front, not sure if that'd be an issue, but I don't know much else. I just know that my barn's Morgan looks like her butt is undermuscled until she gets stacked out, either by command or on her own.
Posted via Mobile Device

DubyaS6 10-04-2010 09:28 AM

I agree with the others...

He stands like a TANK in the front...haha!

Super Nova 10-04-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubyaS6 (Post 770164)
I agree with the others...

He stands like a TANK in the front...haha!

That was the first thing I noticed too......he is a pretty "square" horse.....his back end stance pretty much matches his front end.

Super Nova

New_image 10-04-2010 09:56 PM

No critique from me but boy, he is a stocky fella isn't he! :D I love it!

Remali 10-04-2010 10:29 PM

Nice looking horse, I love those stocky horses. I agree.... I think his hind end may look better if he were standing a bit better behind.

I think any horse can go to a show, as long as the horse has the training.... altho it depends on what kind of show... open show, big "A" show.... but, I think he is nice enough. I really like him!