The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Half Pad/Bridge Pad/Wither Relief Pad. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/half-pad-bridge-pad-wither-relief-66347/)

Fifty 10-04-2010 05:16 PM

Half Pad/Bridge Pad/Wither Relief Pad.

I'm looking to get one for my horse since my saddle is a little wide. I'm having a hard time choosing which one I want. I see a lot... but the ones I want are so expensive, and I don't want to spend anymore than 40$. I really want it to be cut out over the withers. I will show you a few, and tell me if you like any(they are over my price limit, but I just want to know which one you think would work best!), or suggest some? I ride western, but I don't care if it's for an english saddle, I will use it underneath my regular saddle pad most likely.

Woof Therapeutic Half Pad - eBay (item 170546542011 end time Oct-05-10 16:16:17 PDT)

Cutback GEL Non-Slip Half Pad -BLACK - Reduces Shock - eBay (item 140424216050 end time Nov-02-10 14:50:39 PDT)

THERAPUTIC! Grand Prix Active Soft Gel Half Pad - eBay (item 370350657715 end time Oct-12-10 09:40:29 PDT)

Wither Relief Fitter Anti-Slip Memory Foam Saddle Pad - eBay (item 230532325358 end time Oct-06-10 15:24:16 PDT)

WINTEC WITHER RELIEF PAD - eBay (item 180567555194 end time Oct-07-10 18:01:38 PDT)

Hilason Wither Relief Clearance Anti-Slip Saddle Pad - eBay (item 220601417806 end time Nov-02-10 13:10:34 PDT)

I really like the last one, but it is extremely expensive, I mean, I could buy a nice saddle pad with that. It seems perfect for what I'm looking for, but I'm hoping to find one similar for a lot cheaper! Opinions?

Eolith 10-04-2010 08:01 PM

Honestly, I think it is very important to have a saddle that fits the horse well from the get go. I do understand financial challenges, but used saddles can often be found for a good price. Better to spend your money on a long term permanent fix as opposed to a quick fix.

That said, if I had to choose one of the wither relief pads and had no other option, I would either go for the fourth one or the last one that you've listed. You want to retain some amount of breatheability, so avoid things like gel and stiff foams. Look for things like open-cell foam.

Fifty 10-04-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eolith (Post 771217)
Honestly, I think it is very important to have a saddle that fits the horse well from the get go. I do understand financial challenges, but used saddles can often be found for a good price. Better to spend your money on a long term permanent fix as opposed to a quick fix.

That said, if I had to choose one of the wither relief pads and had no other option, I would either go for the fourth one or the last one that you've listed. You want to retain some amount of breatheability, so avoid things like gel and stiff foams. Look for things like open-cell foam.

Yes, I believe that, too. I have had 6 different saddles on my horse and he is too narrow for all of them. I don't have the money to get a custom made saddle, and after I start exercising him more, he should actually grow into the saddle because it's not that wide. I just like to make sure there is full wither clearance without having to worry. It actually fits him quite well besides the fact that he has super high withers.
Thank you :)

Fifty 10-04-2010 08:15 PM

I think I'm going to try one of these: Saddle Pad Riser - Smith Brothers being affordable, I could put it over my saddle pad and should work well.

Lightning86 10-05-2010 11:39 AM

I would check out Horse Tack Co. they have a lot of half pads for great prices.

Search Results : Horse Tack | Horse Blankets | Bits, Breeches & Grooming SuppliesHorse Tack Co.