The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Picking up the Right Lead (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/picking-up-right-lead-66373/)

TexasBlaze 10-04-2010 08:32 PM

Picking up the Right Lead

My gelding was catching them when he was at the trainers, but then he got out of working for about a month and i started working him again and now he will ONLY catch left leads. Im putting all my weight into the left stirrup and tilting his nose out but he STILL catches the left lead EVERY TIME.

Any other ways that anyone knows of to make him catch his right lead?

dreamalittledream 10-04-2010 08:47 PM

strong inside leg and strong outside rein, and try doing this while crossing the diagnol, (:

TexasBlaze 10-04-2010 08:49 PM

Ive never tried it at a diagonal. Mostly just trying to get him to catch it in circles. Ill definitally have to try that. Yesterday i was leaning so far into him that the saddle slipped under him and i paid for THAT one :lol:

dreamalittledream 10-04-2010 08:53 PM

lmao. xD
well let me know how it works, my instructor usually makes everyone ride across the diagonal to pratice leads and it works for us! (:

TexasBlaze 10-04-2010 09:03 PM

Oh yea. I hope it works. My brother always likes to tell me about how my horse woulnt ever amount to anything but his horse is a goddess. If Blaze can catch his leads AND do flying lead changes *he has actually done them before* then he would prove my brother wrong. My brother and i clash when it comes to our horses lol.

dreamalittledream 10-04-2010 09:05 PM

haha, well i hope all goes well! is his show name texas blaze? :p
i think that's really cute! :D

TexasBlaze 10-04-2010 09:08 PM

I wish LOL. His name is Blaze and we live in Texas. He is not registered but he is the first horse i ever owned. I got him when i was ten and he was three and he has been my best friend ever since. He's my best bud. He might be stubborn and throw hissie fits but im the only one who can control him and he has never purposefully bucked me off. *im getting lovey dovey now hehe*

dreamalittledream 10-04-2010 09:13 PM

awweh, that's really cute. (:
haha, if you think of a really unique hunter horse show name for my new horse kaileigh, message me back please! i've been thinking soo much about it, & i just wanna chose one because i'm starting to show her! xD

TexasBlaze 10-04-2010 09:15 PM

Ive got a million names lol! Ive got a foal on the way so ive been brainstorming ideas for MONTHS

dreamalittledream 10-04-2010 09:17 PM

lemme hear 'em! (:
i've thought of literally a million, but right now i like.... keep it classic,
whadda thinnk?