The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   I've had her for 7 years and no one seems to know what she is. TBXsomething. any idea (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/ive-had-her-7-years-no-66395/)

Redial 10-05-2010 12:49 AM

I've had her for 7 years and no one seems to know what she is. TBXsomething. any idea

Ok so she's 17 16 hands, chestnut but with massive amountsof irridescence in her coat, doesn't grow a hint of a winter coat, stays sleak and shiney all through winter, has to be triple rugged, a horrible keeper, costs me 100 dollars a week to keep her looking nice. Thickest tail i've ever come across, although thinning with age, can jump anything like no ones business, very solid, very well muscled and good wide hip, loves chasing and cutting cows by herself int he field. what do you guys think?
She's on a hillside, hence the reason she looks downhill, she's pretty well conformed, just a touch long and slgihtly sickle hocked.

http://i33.tinypic.com/awdroh.jpg

mliponoga 10-05-2010 01:34 AM

She could be appendix, but I definitely see quarter horse in her. $100 a week? That's what I pay to keep 4 horses and 3 large breed dogs.

Redial 10-05-2010 01:43 AM

I live in Aus and no matter how much grass she's kept on she needs 2 hard feeds a day, I finally worked out a program with a nutritionist, after her teeth, blood tests and a drenching was done and she was cleared.

She now gets, white chaff and green chaff int he morning with a scoop of copra, a scoop of pollard and one of economix and then a biscuit of lucern hay, then in pasture all day (good seeded pasture) then in the afternoon she gets double what she got in the morning and another biscuit of lucern hay. she goes through 4 bags of feed a week and 2 bags of chaff a fortnite not to mention 2 and half bales of hay a fortnite...she's not cheap.

Chiilaa 10-05-2010 06:28 AM

Redial I think she is a pure TB. Call the Australian Stud Book and ask them about her brands. They should be able to tell you if she is or isn't - the brand that is visible is the farm brand where she was bred (it's double D over a lazy S in case you didn't know how to describe the brand) and the brand on her other shoulder will be what number foal she was at the farm over the last number of the year she was born. If she is 17 I would imagine that the bottom number is either a 2 or a 3.

RedTree 10-05-2010 06:35 AM

I would of said tb or maybe qh but she has a brand and like Chiilaa said you should be able to follow it up and find out for sure :)

annaleah 10-05-2010 08:18 AM

I definetly see TB in there, but the way she's muscled, I'd say maybe an appendix as well. Be interesting to find out what she is! She sure is pretty!

Redial 10-06-2010 01:22 AM

She only has one brand, not even a sign of a faded freeze brand on the other side, she's very well muscled for a TB, super wide and legs like tree trunks.

Chiilaa 10-06-2010 07:46 AM

OK coolies. That definitely rules out pure TB (or at least race bred TB which is what we get most in Aust.)

Now that you know that she isn't a stud book, you should start ringing around to different breed associations, and ask if they have the brand registered. Once you find the person the brand is registered to, you will know who bred her. Then you can call them and ask lots of questions :) In the end, while this way may take a few weeks of calling and searching, it gives you definite answers, while we on the forum can only offer educated guesses :)

Redial 10-06-2010 07:55 AM

Thanks i'll start calling around ont he weekend.

Chiilaa 10-06-2010 08:00 AM

Also, what state are you in? Because each state may have their own registering bodies, so if you are having trouble finding more info, go to other states too :)