The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Blue eyed horses and temperament??? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/blue-eyed-horses-temperament-66406/)

JennKzoo 10-05-2010 08:19 AM

Blue eyed horses and temperament???

A friend of mine mentioned one time that she would never own a horse with one or both eyes blue because she's found that the ones shes been around (her inlaws ran a trail riding facility and she's worked at others) have been crazy. This weekend I went to see my cousins paint and he (his horse) had one blue eye so I asked him about the horses temperament and he told me it was horrible.
So, it just got me to wondering if there was really anyone else out there that has experienced such things?
I had a pony with two blue eyes and she was very head set in her ways, but the previous owners were not knowledgeable in riding and my friend trained the pony and I would never send a horse to my friend. But I never would say it was because she had two blue eyes. :-|
Just curious what others have experienced.

annaleah 10-05-2010 08:25 AM

Honestly, I think it is a myth. I've rode horses with blue eyes before and they seemed just fine. But, I have seen blue eyes horses that were a little fiesty too, I believe it all depends on the horse, wether they have blue eyes or not I don't think makes a difference.

Tennessee 10-05-2010 08:58 AM

Total myth, more than likely.

I owned a blue eyed, bald faced paint for quite a few years that was gelded at seven and wasn't trained until he was ten, and he was one of the best horses we've owned. He was completely kid safe and didn't have a mean bone in his body.

Carleen 10-05-2010 02:43 PM

Haha I'd say a myth.. but I did know this grumpy old gelding who had one blue eye. He was a fantastic beginner's riding horse, but he'd try to bite anything that came near his stall! What a turd!

I also worked at a barn with a blue eyed horse, she was an angel for leading to her stall and feeding but I never saw how she acted otherwise.

JennKzoo 10-05-2010 03:13 PM

See, I'd never heard that before either so it just got me to thinking and wondering. I've known enough horses that did not have blue eyes or anything close and they were butt heads, LOL.

paintsrule 10-05-2010 04:00 PM

I have a horse with one blue eye and he is the sweetest, nicest horse. Hes perfect for everyone. Sure he can get a little hyper occasionally, but BARELY and then he calms right down. So thats a myth, for sure.

PaintHorseMares 10-05-2010 04:09 PM

Certainly just a myth. Our Paint lead mare has two blue eyes and is the most laid back horse I've ever ridden....go anywhere, do anything, dead broke, never fusses about anything.

smrobs 10-05-2010 04:23 PM

Yep, total myth. I suspect it may be a bit of a vicious circle of myths there. People who believe the myth treat blue eyed horses as if they are supposed to be monsterous killers and so, they become monsterous killers. People like PHM, who treat them like any other horse end up with nice, well broke horses.

Poco1220 10-05-2010 04:48 PM

I have a mare with two blue eyes and a stallion with two blue eyes. Both are very laid back, eager to work, and as gentle as they get. Total myth.
Posted via Mobile Device

BackInTheSaddleAgain 10-05-2010 04:52 PM

My 3 year old has one blue eye and is the best behaved horse I know