The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Transfer of Registration (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/transfer-registration-66422/)

Remi 10-05-2010 01:27 PM

Transfer of Registration

We got a mare from a couple. Her papers are very confusing to me. We want to register her in our name but I am not sure what I need to do.

Her papers now have:

Breeder
Owner #1 (who signed the back of the papers as seller).

Then there is a Transfer Report record with:
Owner #2 signature and information.

There is nothing for Owner #3 (who we got her from).

So Owner #1's signature would be good for Owner #2?
Then we could just use the transfer for us since there is nothing on Owner #3?
Or do we need to have Owner #3 fill out a transfer?

Cowgirl140ty 10-05-2010 01:40 PM

If there is nothing from owner number 2 directly to number 3... then you could fill yourself out as number 3. I would suggest getting a bill of sale from couple number 3 in case any problems arise later.

Remi 10-05-2010 01:45 PM

Oh we have a bill of sale. There is just nothing about them on the papers or record transfer.

CheyAut 10-17-2010 07:37 AM

I'm not following what you're saying, but here's what you need:

The owner on record has to sign a transfer to you or somone in between. If there is someone in between, they need to sign a transfer to you.

You have 3 people plus you in your original. I'm going to try to figure it out with made up names.

Sally is the breeder and original registered owner?
John bought Horse from Sally and is the owner on record now?
Henry bought Horse from John but did not transfer into his name?
You bought Horse from Henry?

If that is the case, you need a signed transfer from John to you (really it SHOULD be from John to Henry, and then one from Henry to you but if you have one from John to you it will work) to get Horse in your name.

franknbeans 10-17-2010 07:56 AM

If owner number 2 has already signed, it would sound to me like you are all set. Yeah, the "right" way would be to have the couple who you got her from on there, but I wouldn't think that would critical. After all, how would the breed assn. even know they were in the picture? Horse was never really transferred to them.

CheyAut 10-17-2010 09:24 AM

^ As long as they left the buyer part empty that works, but if they filled in the info to the person they sold to, then that person has to fill out a transfer as well.

Remi 10-17-2010 12:13 PM

No, they didn't fill out the buyer part. Just the seller.

Looks like that is the way to go, thanks!

CheyAut 10-18-2010 05:24 AM

Well that works for you then! :)