The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Need Ideas (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/need-ideas-66497/)

mapleridgefarm 10-06-2010 08:39 AM

Need Ideas

As some of you may know I have a 3 year old gelding whom im starting under saddle. He was pulled from a kill pen this spring and I have no idea what he knows (but we are finding out quite a bit!). We have been ridding daily unless the weather is bad. We do about 10 minutes of lounge work and then ride for about 1/2 hour. We are only doing walk trot work, transistions, bending, and getting to know eachother. Eventually he will be a trail horse and small local shows. He is going great. Flex's well when he bends and all. I can get him to whoa by saying whoa and breathing out. He really is in tune to me. I think he is getting bored with the work though. Can you give us some ideas to spice it up a little? I do a lot of turns, we are working on neck reining which he is defently getting. Also, any tips on getting him to back? On the ground he backs by voice command. In the saddle he wont, i can pull back and he will back a step or two but he doesnt like it. We have a round ring (im guessing 80-90 ft around, its much bigger then my round pen) and a small pasture with some trees and obsitcles in it we ride in.

mbender 10-06-2010 08:55 AM

Backing little by little is exactly what he should be doing. Pressure, release, pressure, release. Even the smallest move is good. Backing for a horse is not a normal movement. Pull back until you get a leg to move back and release. And work up from there. He will get it but may take a little longer. Each time you back him use a voice command and say "back". His reward is your release on the rein. Good luck. He'll get it!
Posted via Mobile Device

mapleridgefarm 10-06-2010 09:22 AM

Thanks. That is what we have been doing and he has gotten a little better. He tends to throw his head up when you ask him to back though, instead of tuck it down. Is that something that comes with time? He is my first young horse.

mbender 10-06-2010 09:41 AM

No, it can become a problem. He needs to learn that when you take up the reins to yield to the pressure with head down. Work with that on the ground with a halter. Take the lead and clip it to the halter and pull gently but firmly down. He will fight as this is new but don't give him a release until he gives in. Just the slightest give is a reason for a quick release. Just like in backing. Little gives until he is understanding to give in. Release quickly don't hold on if he drops his head for a moment. Then when he is good at that with the halter, put his bridle on and start again. What kind of bit are you using?
Posted via Mobile Device

loveBradforever 10-06-2010 03:21 PM

my Morgan has behavorial problems

My Morgan is a rescued horse, and he has been badly abused a few years ago. Now he gets angry out of nowhere. If someone stands next to him, you will have no idea when he will bite or kick at you. I need help and some ideas to prevent him to stop that!!:think:

mapleridgefarm 10-06-2010 04:18 PM

This is the bit

The Rookie - 336 | Reinsman

He was in a D Ring Snaffle, but it was heavy, and thicker and he didnt like it very much. He seems relaxed in this bit, and responds well to it. I had posted before and asked for suggestions on a bit, but no one responded. We keep the chain loose.

PaintHorseMares 10-06-2010 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mapleridgefarm (Post 772889)
I think he is getting bored with the work though. Can you give us some ideas to spice it up a little?

Even though we don't show, I find that practicing trail class is great for young ones, gives them a lot to think about, and keeps me from getting bored, too.

mapleridgefarm 10-06-2010 04:37 PM

I have actually considered trying him in a Myler MBO4 Mouthpeice with a 5" shank. It is what I ride my Rocky in. Should i try him in that?