The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   joint supplements (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/joint-supplements-66508/)

apache99 10-06-2010 01:05 PM

joint supplements

My horse is 12 yrs old and is overweight. I am getting her weight problem under control...i believe the people before me had her as a halter horse and kept her fat. I have had problems keeping her sound, putting shoes on her has helped a lot but she still is not totally sound her joints on her back legs swell sometimes i am wondering if a joint supplement will help with this problem??

Speed Racer 10-06-2010 01:11 PM

Wait, is this the same horse you're asking everyone whether or not she's pregnant in another thread?

According to your other thread she was skinny when you got her, but now you're saying she's fat and has always been fat because of her former owners?

C'mon, your stories aren't adding up.

Again, as recommended to you time and again in the other thread, this horse needs to see a vet. We cannot diagnose or recommend treatment, regardless of what's wrong. A vet is the only one who can do that.

apache99 10-06-2010 03:53 PM

i have several horses actually this is a diff horse

apache99 10-06-2010 03:58 PM

since you seem to be following me so closely you might look at my profile i have two horses this particular horse i am talking about is apache and she is in good health and a vet has checked her out i am simply asking for advice from people who give their horses joint supplements

also it is pretty rude of you to try and call me out and tell me to get my stories right :)

Alwaysbehind 10-06-2010 04:04 PM

No idea if a joint supplement will help with swollen joints. What does your vet say about the swollen joints? Did you ask your vet about putting her on a joint supplement?

I have X-rays to prove the arthritic changes my horse has. With that information in hand my vet and I were able to figure out the best route to make my horse as comfortable as possible (shoeing changes, joint supplement, work load, etc). Did you go that route so you know what is going on in there?

mls 10-06-2010 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apache99 (Post 773220)
since you seem to be following me so closely you might look at my profile i have two horses this particular horse i am talking about is apache and she is in good health and a vet has checked her out i am simply asking for advice from people who give their horses joint supplements

also it is pretty rude of you to try and call me out and tell me to get my stories right :)

For what it's worth - I wondered the very same thing as Speedracer.

If you had her vet checked - your vet is the best resource on what your horse needs. S/he can feel the joints and watch the horse move as well as ask the pertinent history questions.

luvs2ride1979 10-08-2010 08:59 AM

If she's stocking up or swelling, she needs 24/7 turnout to keep her moving. It's hard to recommend a joint supplement without knowing what's wrong. Did your farrier have any thoughts? Did your vet do any xrays or ultrasounds of the joints? Did he do a nerve block?

mls 10-08-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 774999)
If she's stocking up or swelling, she needs 24/7 turnout to keep her moving. It's hard to recommend a joint supplement without knowing what's wrong. Did your farrier have any thoughts? Did your vet do any xrays or ultrasounds of the joints? Did he do a nerve block?

Except she said she had the vet give her a clean bill of health. *shrugs*

luvs2ride1979 10-08-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 775037)
Except she said she had the vet give her a clean bill of health. *shrugs*

Then she needs to find a new vet...

Alwaysbehind 10-08-2010 04:39 PM

I agree, Luvs. If a vet actually looked at the horse and said it is fine, the OP does need a new vet.