The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Ideas to keep sheath clean? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/ideas-keep-sheath-clean-66550/)

trailhorserider 10-06-2010 09:50 PM

Ideas to keep sheath clean?

I know there are probably several old posts on cleaning sheaths. I think I even replied to some of them myself. But is there a way to keep a gelding's sheath cleaner?

My guy doesn't get beans very often, but he gets really crusty, stuck-on accumulation just inside his sheath. Like maybe the first 4 inches, in all directions. I don't mean his penis, it seems to stay rather clean. :oops: It's the inside of the sheath itself that gets so, so grungy!

And not just grungy, but I know if it accumulates too much, it makes him uncomfortable. For instance, before I started cleaning him more often, he would stop frequently during out rides, assume the peeing position, but not pee. It would take about 3 times of him stopping before he would actually pee.

Now I know what the problem is, and I clean his sheath about once a month, and he pees great, first try.

I guess what I am asking is, is there anything that would help keep the goobers from sticking and getting so hard and dry up in there?

And does the Excalibur sheath cleaner work well?

Currently I have been using an old sock, warm water, and either baby shampoo, personal lubricant or baby oil to try to soften and remove the goobers. None work that well. Baby oil does the best job, but I worry that may add to the smegma build up.

Any other ideas on what would help keep him cleaner? I know he hates having the goobers removed, so I know it's not real comfortable for him to be cleaned all the time. Plus it isn't my favorite task either. But I am happy doing it if it keep him clean and well. But there must be a way to keep the goobers from sticking so much? Do I just have a dirty horse or why would he have to be cleaned so often?

trailhorserider 10-07-2010 11:34 PM

I guess I must be the only one out there with a grungy gelding. :lol:

RedTree 10-10-2010 12:41 AM

My gelding is like that as well but I have no soloutions I was hoping some one else would haha

Alicia 10-10-2010 10:14 AM

When I was doing my research on sheah cleaning (bought a gelding). In this research anything oild based can make things worse - since the secretions and crusties are made from oil. They (John Lyons)recommends aloe vera gel (with no added fragrances or anything) you can use it to help loosen the crusties and to apply after cleaning to sooth the area. Maybe use can apply this in the sheath area then just hose out every so often.
As for sheath cleaning products, John Lyons, felt that Excalibur didn't mix with water well which made it hard to work with and it smelled very strong of tea tree oil, but it did work welll loosening material for easy removal. The product they liked the best was Triple J Sheath Cleaner - they said it was easiest to use, didn't smell too strong, mixed with water easily, and quickly loosened the smegma.

MIEventer 10-10-2010 10:20 AM

I just clean...lol. Whenever Nelson hangs out -which is pretty much all the time...I grab his weh weh and wipe it down. I always pull his head back and check for beans, and if I see any, I just pull them out and flick them away.

I do wash his weh weh as well, but not often. With a bucket of warm water, lathered up with Excallibur and a soft spunge.

That's what I do.

BigGreyHorse 10-10-2010 10:22 AM

My guys get...um...crusty...fast. Every month or so I squirt about 5cc of ph neutral ob lube up in the sheath. In a couple of days, things loosen up and fall out or can be wiped out. It really helps control the yuck between cleanings. Actually I was wiping things out last night. Saturday night fun.:roll:

MN Tigerstripes 10-10-2010 10:42 AM

Soda is really grungy too. That's actually on this list today.... Aren't I lucky? I don't know of anything to keep it clean in between cleanings though. I just use Excalibur, water, and an old cut up towel. I do clean some of the grungys off whenever he's hanging out after a ride.

jessepalermo1 10-12-2010 08:43 AM

Such an informative and well formed post! Thank you for sharing that, it was wonderful of you.

MyBoyPuck 10-13-2010 11:09 PM

I read somewhere recently that a Selenium and Magnesium (I think) deficiency can contribute to higher than normal buildup. I'm in the same boat as you. My boy is almost constanty gunked up in there. Fortunately for me he enjoys getting cleaned. I'll see if I can find where I read it.

NannonsWhiskey 10-14-2010 02:05 AM

You have to do what?? lol Actually I have my first "boy" and have yet to do this! I know, bad, bad horse owner! I have no clue where to start! We were actually just talking about this at the ranch where I board and someone had recommended buying a "woman's femine wash" unscented of course to use to do the job. No harsh soaps and suppose to get the job done, she says that is what she uses anyhow, and she does it monthly when she bathes him. Not sure if this helps but figured it may be worth a try??