The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   How much notice? (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/how-much-notice-66558/)

Friendable 10-07-2010 12:24 AM

How much notice?

I think I posted here awhile ago about whether I should stay at my current barn or move to a new one. The current barn was basically closing but was allowing me and one other girl to stay and board for free in exchange for taking care of the horses that were left because the actual people who own/live on the property don't like horses. The former barn manager is their daughter, and she just moved away with very little notice. There is serious disagreement between BOs and the daughter about when and where the horses that are left are going. BOs say all horses except mine and the other girl's must be gone by the end of the month, but the daughter says it will be several months. Also, right now I'm feeding four days a week and the other girl is feeding three. I'm tired and I'm not sure how clear that was, so please feel free to tell me if something didn't make sense.

Anyway, this has been going on for a month now. The actual feeding isn't a problem at all, but the people are. I won't bother to make a list of every crappy thing they've done, but the other girl and I are tired of it. Plus, I'm seriously not comfortable not having someone else I can ask questions or have look at stuff when I'm not sure what to do. There was a lot of anxiety on my part that could have been avoided if there was someone knowledgeable around who could have looked at my horse's hoof for two seconds this week, for instance. So I went to look at another barn this evening and I really like it. It's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for and it's not run by crazy people, which has seemed like a rare thing to find in my area recently. I'm 99% sure I'm moving there very soon (like next week, as soon as the vet comes out and can give me proof of health for my horse), I'm just trying to figure out how and when I should tell the people at my current barn.

The other girl is having the same problem, but she probably won't be able to move until the very end of this month. Which is another complicating factor, because I don't want to leave her to deal with everything (including the crazy BOs) for weeks after I leave. My family thinks they've been treating me so poorly that I should just get my horse and go, without giving them any kind of notice. The other girl thinks that we should tell them as soon as we have definite dates, which is dependent on when the vet gets to the barn. I'm honestly afraid of how they'll react, and I'm not sure I want my horse on their property for any length of time after I tell them. I could offer to continue feeding the horses for a couple of weeks after I leave, but the other girl doesn't think that would be fair for me. I don't really care about it being fair for me and I'm honestly concerned about who is going to feed them because I'm positive that the BOs won't. Someone, please help. Again, I'm sorry if this makes very little sense and that it's pretty long, but it really is a complicated situation and I tried to condense it as much as I could.

cosmomomo 10-07-2010 12:40 AM

it kind of makes sense, and correct me if i say anything that has nothing to do with your situation lol.

most places require some kind of notice. did you sign a boarding contract? usually those will have the length of time on them. if you didnt sign one, in my opinion, you should be able to leave anytime, as long as you dont owe any money, which it doesnt sound like you do. some places if you get lucky will let you leave whenever you want, when you give them your notice. if you are worried about the safety of your horses and they want a 30 day notice, ask if you can pay for that months board and leave right away. i dont see why they would have a problem with that, they are still getting their money.

if the other girl cant leave untill later, than maybe you should just try and stick it out with her for a while longer until you can both leave. if you are the sympathetic type like me, than thats what you would do.

all in all, i wish you the best of luck and just remember, no one likes giving notice, but sometimes it is the right thing to do.

(p.s. ALL horse people are crazy ;)

Friendable 10-07-2010 01:01 AM

Yeah, the problem is that they're NOT horse people and they're crazy, lol. I do have a boarding contract, sort of. That was one of the issues. They left completely blank boarding contracts on the bulletin board for a couple of weeks and then passive aggressively hinted to us that they wanted them signed (ie: talking to the neighbor very loudly so I would overhear about how we obviously don't care about our horses and won't accept responsibility for them instead of actually talking to us) so I texted the daughter/former manager. She told me to write $0 and sign it and that would be enough. The contract does say that they want 30 days notice or you're responsible for that month's board, but it's not like I can actually pay them $0.

And yeah, I really do feel bad about leaving before the other girl does, but she's the one who was saying how she was getting out as soon as possible. I was hesitant to even leave at all (then some other stuff happened, but not exactly relevant.) The main issue is that the new barn is looking for a boarder right now and I can't ask them to hold a spot for me for a month. And I really do want to get away from the current barn.

cosmomomo 10-07-2010 01:10 AM

hmm, well then if it is becoming a really bad issue, i would just give them your 30 days notice, and ask if you can just leave, they can only say yes or no =/ and if you explain your situation to the new barn, they may hold you a spot if you pay for a month, but you might be out whatever one months board is. i wouldnt worry too much about the other girl, you guys can still be friends, but if you truly want to get out of there a.s.a.p. then just explain it to her, hopefully she will understand.

are you paying board at the current barn? or are you working it off? if you are working it off, then i could deffinately see how a notice would be necessary, so they can find someone to replace you or whatever.

if you are paying x number of $'s than i would go up to them giving your notice, and first ask if you can leave right away and if they say no, offer to pay the next months board. but dont offer money unless you have to.

Alwaysbehind 10-07-2010 09:20 AM

If it were me I would give my 30 days notice. Move my horse as soon as I can but fulfill my obligation (feeding) for the entire 30 days.

Since your board is paid by doing that chore that is the same as giving your 30 days notice, paying your board and leaving early.

There is no rule that says your horse has to stay there for the entire notice. You just have to pay for the full 30 days.

The horse world is small. It is best to be polite and do what is right even if it sucks.

Pizmo 10-07-2010 10:24 AM

[QUOTE=Alwaysbehind;773969]If it were me I would give my 30 days notice. Move my horse as soon as I can but fulfill my obligation (feeding) for the entire 30 days.

Since your board is paid by doing that chore that is the same as giving your 30 days notice, paying your board and leaving early.

There is no rule that says your horse has to stay there for the entire notice. You just have to pay for the full 30 days.
QUOTE]

I agree with Alwaysbehind & would also do this if it were me, and this would allow you to stick around & be there for your friend

Friendable 10-07-2010 01:21 PM

See, that's exactly what I wanted to do in the first place, but my friend kept saying that it wouldn't be fair and she didn't want me to do it for her sake. I guess I'll offer and see what the BOs say.

Alwaysbehind 10-07-2010 03:21 PM

You are not doing it for her sake. You are full filling your portion of the contract. You are paying your board for the 30 days.

Yes, it has the bonus of helping your friend.

Friendable 10-07-2010 06:43 PM

Well, my contract doesn't actually mention the feeding at all. It only says $0. But yes, I understand what you mean and I'll explain it to her that way if she objects. Thanks, everyone.

Friendable 10-07-2010 11:47 PM

So...apparently I was mixing up my old boarding contract with the new one. I just read my copy of the new boarding contract and it doesn't mention having to give them any notice of moving. I'm guessing this is so I wouldn't expect them to give me 30 days notice if they managed to sell their house like they were trying to (and lying to me about.) How much does this change things?