The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Curb Chain or no? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/curb-chain-no-66560/)

Remi 10-07-2010 01:06 AM

Curb Chain or no?

I am hearing conflicting information about using a curb chain/strap with a snaffle bit.

Do you or don't you?

I found this on the 'net. Agree?

Curb chains or straps have no effect on a true snaffle because there is no leverage to act upon. English riders do not add any type of curb strap or curb chain to a snaffle bit. While some riders in western disciplines do add a curb strap to the rings, it is merely a "hobble" for the rings, has no leverage effect and is there only as a safety feature to prevent the rings from being pulled through the mouth of the horse, should the animal gape open its mouth in an attempt to avoid the bit.

AQHA13 10-07-2010 01:10 AM

I used to when my horse was first starting to be ridden. She would pull on the bit and open her mouth, causing the bit to slide out to one side. I used a curb chain until she stopped doing that just so the bit would stay in her mouth.

Allison Finch 10-07-2010 01:15 AM

That's a western thing. I would guess the only purpose is to keep from pulling it through the mouth. But, who would do that?

What other purpose would a strap have?

trailhorserider 10-07-2010 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Remi (Post 773782)
I am hearing conflicting information about using a curb chain/strap with a snaffle bit.

Do you or don't you?

I found this on the 'net. Agree?

Curb chains or straps have no effect on a true snaffle because there is no leverage to act upon. English riders do not add any type of curb strap or curb chain to a snaffle bit. While some riders in western disciplines do add a curb strap to the rings, it is merely a "hobble" for the rings, has no leverage effect and is there only as a safety feature to prevent the rings from being pulled through the mouth of the horse, should the animal gape open its mouth in an attempt to avoid the bit.

I agree with that. I think I would rather use full cheek and not worry about it at all, but yes, western riders do use a curb strap just for it's hobble effect. It has no leverage effect, it just stabilizes the bit in the horse's mouth when direct reining. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that english riders use cavessons and western riders don't?

Zeke 10-07-2010 01:32 AM

On a shanked curb bit, obviously western, I've always been under the impression it does add to the leverage and effectiveness of the bit. Don't see the purpose in English.
Posted via Mobile Device

Remi 10-07-2010 02:04 AM

Thanks for the replies. That is what I had been thinking but I know others who insist that a chain be used with a snaffle. Until they explain why, I guess I can assume it is for helping the bit not slide.