The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Bad Habits (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/bad-habits-6657/)

Small_Town_Girl 03-06-2008 07:59 AM

Bad Habits

Well I've noticed since I've got my new Stallion
(getting him gelded), he has a few habits/ problems.

For instance, you can't pet him without him
nipping and biting at your clothes. Biting is a
bad habit, and it might just be the clothes, but
I don't want him to take a hunk out of me one day!

Also, he is so big and I'm so short, when I'm
leading him he thinks he can take advantage
of me and try to run over me or go the other way!

He also seems kind of timid and jumpy around
me, It could be because I just got him and he has to get
used to me.

Any Suggestions? :D

.Delete. 03-06-2008 10:16 AM

Alright, i say get him gelded as soon as possible.

Smack him. Let him know who is boss, you cannot stand back and look at your stallion and go "bad horsey no". The problem will only continue if you do that. you need to take control of the situation, which your stallion is trying to do. Next time he bites you, smack him. Put a stud chain on him and yank his face make him listen to you. If you don't make him listen to you, he wont. It will only get worse. There is a time and place to be nice and try to correct a horse without force, but with a stallion, i find force is all they know. Work on ground work with a stud chain, back him up and such, make him respectful of your space and where you stand. This kind of behavior is unacceptable, expecially with stallions.

Vidaloco 03-06-2008 09:01 PM

I'm not sure if hitting the horse for nipping is a good idea. You can try it but sometimes it makes the horse turn it into a game and he just pulls his head away and come backs and nips again. I usually try to grab the lower lip when they try to bite. I hold the lip till they quit fighting then release it and rub the nose/mouth if they try to bite again I grab the lip again. I do this until I can rub the nose/mouth area without them opening their mouth. I'm sure there are other methods, this seems to work for me. I want to add this is with young horses. It may not work on an adult horse. My husband is of the punch them in the face mind set and that works sometimes but I don't think its a good habit to get into :wink:
I agree he should be gelded asap. If you are new to horses a stallion can be very difficult to handle.

Dave 03-06-2008 11:05 PM

biting and pulling

Geld him asap as the others have said a stallion is not for eveyone to handle or own gelded he will turn in to a pleasure for you to ride. as for the pulling and or trying to run over you a stud chain will help but be firm in what ever you do with him when he is trying to get the best of you. as for the biteing it is a rough one as different horses react different to the punishment. i have used the punch in the nose thing as well as the stud chain to get his attention as soon as he does try to bite but dont wait to correct him you have just a few seconds to get your point accross to him what ever you use to stop it. And one other thing i havent saw stated on here is the gelding is not an immediate cure for him as it takes time to get the studdiness out of him. so you will have to be causious with him for a while after he is gelded a lot of folks around my home think that they geld them and the problems are over when he wakes up not so it takes time. im working 3 horses right now that the people thopught well we gelded him he should be like our other horse but not it as i said takes time so be careful with him but do geld him for your safety as well as others Dave

Cheval 03-06-2008 11:30 PM

Horses taking small little nips at your close will led to worse, such as biting - and that really hurts!
What I do when horses try to bit me, I don't really look at them but act like my hand is has a "twitch" and smack and then go on like nothing happened (obviously right after, don't give him a treat [if you hand feed your stallion] or praise). Also, do you hand feed him? That could be a problem why.

Ground work and gaining his respect will help you with the dragging. When he drags you, don't let him get away with that. Carry a dressage whip with you and when he's pulling you, try to give him a smack on the shoulder, and firmly say "No!".

Good luck!

My2Geldings 03-07-2008 01:25 AM

I don't agree with hitting him when he acts badly tho sometimes I can understand it can be very tempting :wink:

Is there a reason why you are keeping him a stallion? do you have experience handling one?

Small_Town_Girl 03-07-2008 07:50 AM

Thanks for all the help! :D

Okay, so everyone is telling me here to be patient
with him, a man is working with him and breaking him for me,
and I'm planning on getting him gelded soon. I honestly
don't know if I should trade him for an already broken horse,
I was just wondering is he's worth the wait. :?

.Delete. 03-07-2008 09:05 AM

Never settle for less then what you want.

SonnyWimps 03-07-2008 09:25 AM

Re: Bad Habits

Quote:

Originally Posted by Small_Town_Girl
Well I've noticed since I've got my new Stallion
(getting him gelded), he has a few habits/ problems.

For instance, you can't pet him without him
nipping and biting at your clothes. Biting is a
bad habit, and it might just be the clothes, but
I don't want him to take a hunk out of me one day!

Also, he is so big and I'm so short, when I'm
leading him he thinks he can take advantage
of me and try to run over me or go the other way!

He also seems kind of timid and jumpy around
me, It could be because I just got him and he has to get
used to me.

Any Suggestions? :D

for the biting. Each time he does, give him a smack on the nose and say "no" firmly. Do it each and every time he does it. If he doesn't do it, tell him he's a good boy and give him loves. If you are boarding him elsewhere, tell the barn owner that if he bites her/him give him a smack.

For the bad ground manners, each time he does it, turn him in a sharp circle....back him up....make him stop for 10 seconds. You have to be the alpha horse...if you don't take that status, he will. If he still won't listen, try using a rope halter...my horse Sonny listens 100% better to me if I'm using a rope halter. If that rope halter doesn't work, then use the regular halter, but put a chain though the nose piece. Not leading well, trying to run you over, and just not listening can be really dangerous

When I got my horse, Sonny, he was jumpy and timid around me also. He was also gelded late so he did a "you can't touch me because I'm so hot" type prance, and if I went up to him even to put his hay elsewhere, he'd spook. It took time. After around 1 week (I don't go up to see him everyday, sadly) he got used to me. But it took him a LONG LONG LONG LONG LONG :lol: time to get used to everything else and be back to his good non-spooky self. Also, Sonny still is jumpy to the barn owner...he flintches each time she pets him and bolts if she tries to do anything with him. It's just him :roll: . I'd say just give it a chance. Remember it's a while new place for your boy...it may take a long time for him to adjust depending on him.

But you forgot something :( .....pictures!!!!! :P

My2Geldings 03-07-2008 10:44 AM

Worth the waiting? It all depends what it is you want to do.