The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   BEST Winter Riding Gloves? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/best-winter-riding-gloves-66630/)

vivache 10-07-2010 08:11 PM

BEST Winter Riding Gloves?

I need new gloves. The ones I used this winter and last are NOT windproof. I have such chilly fingers. :c

Can anyone recommend good, windproof, toasty gloves?

Fifty 10-07-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vivache (Post 774587)
I need new gloves. The ones I used this winter and last are NOT windproof. I have such chilly fingers. :c

Can anyone recommend good, windproof, toasty gloves?

I went to Tractor Supply Company (Don't know if you have one by there) but I got my gloves there, and they are amazing and weren't more than 10.00$. I don't know the brand but I can get it for you if you want me too. They have some really good winter stuff there because it's stuff for farmers.

VelvetsAB 10-07-2010 10:01 PM

I use these:

Article: STYLE 4700 - WINTER RIDING MITTENS

My hands get cold no matter what as our barn isnt heated at all....and my hands sweat in the gloves. But these keep my hands nice and warm at least!

vivache 10-07-2010 10:44 PM

My instructor works part-time at TSC, and I applied to the one in Leesburg VA. I should be able to get something nice there. ;)

My only thing is that they HAVE to be really grippy, too. I have to keep my hands CRAZY still and have to concentrate on doing that. So I can't have the reins slippin' everywhere.

smrobs 10-07-2010 10:47 PM

I am going to order a pair of these before winter hits down here. I have never used them but I have been very pleased with everything else I have ever gotten from Carhartt. There was a member here, I can't remember who now, that lived Minnesota and said these were the best gloves she ever wore.
Carhartt WA009 Women Insulated Utility Glove - Carhartt for Women

shesinthebarn 10-07-2010 11:11 PM

A company called SSG makes great winter riding gloves. here is a link.http://www.ssgridinggloves.com/
Side note...I know the people who own the company (they own STBD racehorses) and they are super nice folks!

baileydawn 10-08-2010 02:19 AM

carhartt!!

dee 10-08-2010 09:18 PM

Those Carhartt gloves look like they'd be warm and sturdy to boot. May have to order me some. I used to have a carhartt jumpsuit. I wore it one year using my horse to move some cattle in the middle of an ice storm. (I will NEVER do that again!) I sure wish I still had it... and that I was small enought to still wear it. Carhartt doesn't make outerwear in my size - more incentive to lose weight!

vivache 10-08-2010 09:26 PM

They all look so toasty!

My current gloves are SSG. They are fleece, but not windproof. So when the wind is going.. brrr. :c I apparently don't have the blubber to keep warm(but I look like it atm!)!

Can anyone speak to the grippiness of the carhartts?

smrobs 10-08-2010 11:48 PM

Not yet but I will have a pair within the next month or so likely. With it being leather, it should have pretty good grip on the palms and fingers. CH is pretty good about making stuff that is not only warm, but functional too. I wish I could remember the member here who swore by them.