The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   How do you Make Homemade horse treats (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/how-do-you-make-homemade-horse-66631/)

RisingGlory 10-07-2010 09:19 PM

How do you Make Homemade horse treats

Hey I was just wondering, How do you make horse treats. I've saw a thread that dealt with them and was jut wondering.:-)You don't have to but, could you tell me your recipe.

franknbeans 10-07-2010 09:30 PM

There are MANy recipes on the web. I have perused many, and found that I put together what I have at the time that is horse edible, and it is easy and fun!

In fact, we had a barn party the other night just to make horse cookies! It was very fun. The ones we made (sorry, I don't measure, plus we made a TON)had sweet feed, mollasses, brown sugar, oatmeal(that I grounds a little in the food processor) ground flax seed. I have added ground carrots, apples or applesauce in the past, but they tend tto be moister and not keep long times.

Look at some recipes and just have fun. I bake mine at about 300, and a convection oven speeds it up immensely.

Gidget 10-08-2010 10:28 AM

I AM HERE TO HELP YOU!

i have lots of recipes..I actually have a cookbook for horses. If you would like I can throw some out there for you

kpptt2001 10-08-2010 12:11 PM

Sorry RG, I am in the same vote as you, and have never made any before....but, it's such a great idea! I would love to make some for halloween in shapes of ghosts an goblins!! hehe

PechosGoldenChance 10-08-2010 01:54 PM

OMG, I would LOVE to make homemade horse treats for our horses too! I've never made any before. I'm going to look up some great recipes!

PechosGoldenChance 10-08-2010 01:57 PM

Oh, I forgot to ask. Can you bake in supplements too? Like Yucca? My girl is picky and has a hard time wanting to eat her grain since we started mixing in Yucca for her joints (just found out she has arthritis in her knee). I just wanted to make sure that baking in supplements such as the one I mentioned above, wouldn'd ruin the nutrition of the supplement.

Gidget 10-08-2010 04:09 PM

STUFFED MOLASSES APPLES

2 APPLES
1 CUP BRAN
1 CARROT,SHREDDED
3/4 CUP MOLASSES
1/2 BROWN SUGAR
1/2 SWEET FEED
CONFECTIONERY SUGAR

Core two apples and dig out as muc of the center as you can.Set aside.

Mix shredded carrot with bran,molasses,brown sugar,and sweet fed in large bowl(i used any type of grain I had when I was able to give her grain and I didn't have bran so I used oatmeal). Add more molasses or bran to give mixture a stiff consistency.Scoop mixture out and press into the cored apple.Press fairly tightly.

To garnish: Drip a small amount of molasses over the top so it runs down the sides of apple.Sprinkle confectionery sugar and serve immediately. This serves two horses.

Note: Great for hiding worming medication or veterinarian prescribed medicines.

Gidget 10-08-2010 04:16 PM

CARROT-APPLE PATE WITH FAUX CAVIAR

2 carrots,diced
1 apple sliced
1/2 cup honey or molasses
1/3 cup of bran
1/4 cup water
Hay cubes
Handful of horse feed pellets
Handful of raisins

Place apples,honey(or molasses),bran,and water into blender.Add carrots slowly and blend until pureed.Mixture should be pasty;add more bran id needed. Spread liberally onto each hay cube and top with on raisin and a sprinkle of pellets ("faux caviar")

kpptt2001 10-08-2010 04:20 PM

These are great recipes Gidget, thanks for sharing...love the "faux caviar"!

Gidget 10-08-2010 04:24 PM

Marguerite Henry's Misty of Chincotegue Oat Cake

2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 cups of sugar
3 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup of oats
1/2 cup shortening
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites
1 cup milk
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
Molasses

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour two 9 inch layer cake pans.
Sift together;flour,sugar,baking powder and salt.Mix in oats.Add shortening.Beat egg yolks and milk.After well mixed fold in egg whites.

Bake for 35-40 minutes.Test with toothpick.When cool,spread top with molasses and sprinkle with walnuts.

For horses and people,too =D