The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   Rode Maia Today! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/rode-maia-today-6665/)

JustDressageIt 03-06-2008 01:33 PM

Rode Maia Today!

So I finally picked up all my tack from my parents' garage (where I had been keeping it until now... my apartment is too small to hold horsey goods) last night! I went out to feed this morning, and thought it was such a nice day that I wanted to see how she looked in my english getup... and I have to say, she looks darn good. I lunged her for a while and got a short video of that - it will be uploaded later, and she was a little energized, but still fairly calm, so I got it in my head to just jump on her and see how she handles a person on her back.
Side note: she's "green broke" but has only had a person on her maybe 4-5 times in the past 4 years, and the lady only walked her, didn't do anything beyond that.
Anyways, so I grabbed my helmet (I finally get to use it! I bought it in October and haven't used it much at all - it's a shame for a $400 helmet to sit in my car.. I bought a nice one to entice myself to wear it :P I think I look stupid in them!) let down my stirrups and jumped on... she was great! We walked around the little field I use as an arena, and once I was confident she was going to listen to my rein and leg aids, I decided well, why not trot? Ahh, even without her feet done she moves nicely... I'm so proud of my little girl! We went around both directions, then walked some more, and called it quits on a good note.
I know this isn't exactly an exciting story, but it is for me! I'm so happy, I'm about to burst!
Pictures will be posted later.. I've got to get ready for work now!

appylover31803 03-06-2008 01:55 PM

YAY JDI! That's great! I'm so glad she's working out for you! I can't wait to see pictures and the video.

it was good that you kept the riding session short. Ahh i can only imagine how excited you are!

kitten_Val 03-06-2008 02:19 PM

Congrats! You are lucky to get so nice and quiet(!) horse!

upnover 03-06-2008 02:25 PM

Re: Rode Maia Today!

I think it's a VERY exciting story! sometimes the best stories are the ones that are the least eventful..... :) Congrats on a great day! Hope she works out for you!

Cheval 03-06-2008 03:11 PM

Congrats! She is such a cute little mare. I'm sure you'll have very fun times wiht her.

Abby 03-06-2008 03:27 PM

Omg congrats! Ever since I read your thread I've been waiting to hear on that little mare! I can't wait to see the video so dont hold off on posting!!

dannys_girl16 03-06-2008 07:12 PM

yay! *claps* you're going to have to get some riding pics for sure!!!! she's such a cutiepie.
and i agree with the person who said the little things are the most exciting - training milestones are the most exciting things ever!
go youuu!

My2Geldings 03-06-2008 07:45 PM

Congrats on the ride. I know what you mean with the lack of room for "horsey goods". I have so much equipment and my house just can't hold it all and my tack box for sure can't either. I am trying to find a way to store more things :twisted:

FGRanch 03-06-2008 08:13 PM

Congrats and I'm looking forward to seeing the pictures!

JustDressageIt 03-07-2008 12:16 AM

I can't believe the support I'm getting! This is awesome! Thank you all for your words of encouragement!!
Although she's 8 and "green broke" she has only been ridden 3 times in the past 4 years, and that was the lady jumping on, walking around, then jumping off again. Besides that, it's anyones guess. And she's never had English tack on, which makes it just that much better! I'm so proud of my little girl! I'm probably going to have another quick ride tomorrow morning... I don't want to do too much while her feet are in such terrible condition, so I'm fairly limited as to what I can do with her... and my farrier hasn't returned the call I put out to him today.
Btw, I'm officially buying her on Saturday!!