The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Bowed tendon? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/bowed-tendon-66723/)

mstngchic2012 10-08-2010 10:46 PM

Bowed tendon?

Does this look like a bowed tendon? There is some heat in it and he's lame on it - I tried hand trotting him and he was really limping on it. If it is a bowed tendon, what should I do to treat it?

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/v...6583437835.jpg

PS This is the horse that I just got from my FIL who is ignorant when it comes to animals.

SaddlebredGrl 10-08-2010 11:02 PM

looks like one to me, but i've never dealt with it before. I think you have to wrap it and stall rest, but i'm sure someone else can help you with that. Probably should call the vet and ask what to do for sure. Oh cold hosing too.

mstngchic2012 10-08-2010 11:08 PM

I'm calling the vet on Monday to get an estimate on gelding him so I will ask. I just wanted to know what I can do for now.

starlinestables 10-08-2010 11:18 PM

Yes this is a bowed tendon. Cold hose, stall rest and bute immediately. Sweat wrap as well. Your vet may ultrasound the tendon so he can monitor the healing.

Your horse will be stall rested for months. Bowed tendons take a long time to heal and increases the chances of another bowed tendon in the future. Leaving more of a heal on your horse or aluminum wedge shoes are good starting points to recovery and prevention... as well as proper warm up and cool down.

Sorry, I'm dealing with one too. It stinks.

shesinthebarn 10-08-2010 11:24 PM

For sure get a vet out ASAP. It does look like a tendon injury. Cold therapy, bandaging, stall rest and hand-walking are the basics that you can do until your vet cand make a proper diagnosis and give you a treatment routine.

Is that a wound on the leg where the bow seems the worst? It might be just severe swelling on the area of the wound, but I doubt it.

There are lots of treatment options for bows, like shock wave, magnetic therapy, aqua therapy, ultrasound, and injections often used in conjunction with NSAID's. Diagnosis can occasionaly be sorta pricey, but IMO, it's worth it to get the most accurate diagnosis. Palpation can be great, but there are some great diagnostic technologies out there, too.

If you are not handy with a bandage and different liniments and their functions, maybe seek out a friend or trainer more experienced to give you a hand. Good luck - keep us posted about what the vet says!

mstngchic2012 10-08-2010 11:37 PM

I'm still kind of new to the tendon injuries so can you please explain what sweat wrapping is? I do know how to wrap legs just not sure what sweat wrap is.

Yes, he cut his leg up in the woods/pasture. I thought it was swelling from the cut as well but I don't think it is either. Can you recommend any liniments?

sarahver 10-08-2010 11:43 PM

Definately have a vet out ASAP. I will give you advice based on what I would do, situations of course vary, hence the need for a vet.

Cold hose 15-20 mins a day -time yourself as this takes F-O-R-E-V-E-R when you are standing there and it is easy to stop mid way thinking you have done it for long enough.

My treatment depending on the horse would be: Sweat wrap 24 hours, then off for 12 hours. Sweat wrap for 18 hours then off for 12 hours, sweat wrap for 12 hours, then off for 12 hours.

Stall rest if you like but you will need to do some hand walking if you do that. Absolutely avoid walking in ANY sand or soft footing - this is very important. Hand walking on firm footing (e.g. well kept grassy area without uneven ground). Also, avoid any turns, if you are going to walk him, just do nice long lines and make the turns wide.

If you don't choose stall rest, he should be fine in a smaller paddock, still with some hand walking.

mstngchic2012 10-08-2010 11:46 PM

Sorry again I ask what is sweat wrap? :oops:

sarahver 10-08-2010 11:57 PM

Sorry, didn't see your post!

1.) Dry the leg after cold hosing it.
2.) Apply linament (e.g. Nitrofurazone) liberally allong the canon bone, including the sides of the leg.
2.) Cover with cotton quilted padding.
3.) Wrap with plastic wrap (this is the 'sweat' part)
4.) Wrap with vet wrap
5.) Secure with Elasticon at top and bottom
6.) Polo wrap from fetlock to knee.

mstngchic2012 10-09-2010 12:06 AM

Thanks! Now can I ask what the point is? Does it allow the liniment to soak in more effectively?

Oh, and can you recommend any specific liniments?