The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Draft Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/)
-   -   Is he an Ardennes?? :) (http://www.horseforum.com/draft-horses/he-ardennes-66738/)

Tralauney 10-09-2010 02:27 AM

Is he an Ardennes?? :)

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, I have recently aquired a new horse from a client. My husband and I are draft fanatics so we were thrilled to take him on, other than the fact that he is a stud...darn, another rule broken :)
The previous owner told us he is an Ardennes (no papers) so I have been researching the breed a bit but there isnt a ton of info on them and would appreciate any feedback you can give us. From what I have read, sounds like she might be right...he has tiny little ears, feathers to his knees, around 15'2 and probably the sweetest horse we have, very gentle, very people oriented.
I am going to breed him to my Perch in the spring but am considering gelding him after that. My concern though...if he is as rare as suspected I may have to reconsider that.
Any feedback on the picts as to what breed he may be would be greatly appreciated!! Thank so much.

rraylutz210 10-09-2010 02:30 AM

I'm not sure of his breeding as I have no knowledge in drafts. However, if I may have an input.. I would not geld him! He is fantastically gorgeous! I want to breed my paint to him hes that pretty. lol.

RedTree 10-09-2010 02:30 AM

I commented on the other thread that you posted pics of him but he is just gorgeous haha had to say it again :)

trailhorserider 10-09-2010 02:38 AM

Just gotta tell you he's gorgeous! :D

Tralauney 10-09-2010 02:40 AM

LOL.. thank you ladies, we are PROUD parents!! We are new to the whole "breeding thing" and we have rescued a few drafts already from being shipped for slaughter. My reservations with not gelding him...I am leary of adding to a growing issue of unwanted horses in Canada. His previous owner got him from a meat buyer, someone had dropped him off and he was just lucky that the meat man was friends with my client and he was able to be spared. Guess we were pretty lucky too!!

She bred him to a paint this year so I'll be sure to post pics of the foals in the spring.

T:)

Solon 10-09-2010 02:43 AM

He does look like an Ardennais. I'm looking at the pictures in my book. Here's the description:

15-16 hands.

Roan, red-roan, iron grey, dark or liver chestnut are the preferred colors. Bay brown, light chestnut and palomino are admissible. Black dappled grey and all other colours are inadmissible.

Straight profile with slightly prominent eye sockets, low flat forehead, large expressive eyes, pricked ears and wide open nostrils medium length neck, well set on and generally arched, very strong shoulders, medium - heavy body with deep chest rather short back and muscular loins, wide rounded hindquarters fairly short strong and muscular limbs.

There is also another type known as the Auxois and a heavier framed Ardennais du Nord which came from crosses with the Belgian Draught.

That is so cool you have one! What's really cool about these horses is they were mentioned by Julius Caeser.

corinowalk 10-09-2010 02:46 AM

I am usually the first one to scream 'cut him!" but that boy sure is a looker. And if he is one of a few, it may be worth it to keep him intact. Is he a well behaved boy? Is there any way to find out if he is infact an Ardennes? DNA testing maybe?

Either way, he is very well built and could probably pull your house off its foundation. If you are capable of being super selective, I am sure that people would desire a horse like him!

Tralauney 10-09-2010 02:49 AM

Thank you Solon for your feedback!! Even if he is inadmissible :)

I will definately have a look into the other breeds you mentioned too.

Anyone know if DNAing him would be worthwhile...I dont even know how that works and hear its really expensive...

Tralauney 10-09-2010 02:51 AM

he is a dream to handle, so sweet, lets the dogs eat out of his food dish too...LOL. You read my mind on the DNA thing..no idea how that works...

ps..its nice to hear another "cutter" say..dont do it

corinowalk 10-09-2010 02:55 AM

Hmmm but maybe that is part of his story. That he was bred well but the wrong color. He certainly doesn't look like a mutt!