The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   Husbands Day! (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/husbands-day-66846/)

Walkamile 10-10-2010 04:18 PM

Husbands Day!

Today my two girlfriends and I set up a trail ride which included our husbands. What we observed was quite interesting, and I wonder if any of you have also experienced similar observations.

First, the husbands, though not really riders, were very relaxed, almost not even aware , of what could happen if they didn't pay attention. But what really struck us gals, was that the horses responded to this "clueless" attitude and were very relaxed and responsive.

Second, the husbands have absorbed some knowledge on how to handle the particular horse they were on by actually having listened to us when we talked about said horse. This alone blew our minds!

We had such a wonderful time, and the guys want to do this more! It was great after we got back to hear them chat over coffee and pastries about the ride.

Don handled T well, and quickly learned that she knows the trails like the bottom of her hoof. A few times we had to stop and T tried to continue on. He countered her moves and did it with calm. He also learned quickly, that T is very sensitive to seat position. This became a bit of a challenge for him going up and down hills, but he found where to place his weight. All without me telling him. I tried to keep my mouth shut, unless he asked. Not an easy task!

I am now looking into a more comfortable and better fitting saddle for Don to ride in! Who would have thought, after 10 years of owning these horses, hubby is now showing an interest!

cakemom 10-10-2010 04:44 PM

Awesome!! My hub has decided perhaps he'd like to ride Red, but "not in that sissy saddle you ride in, I need a horn". So...my next hunt is an Aussie saddle to suit him as they fit Red better than most Westerns, and my Stubben fits like a glove.
Posted via Mobile Device

mliponoga 10-10-2010 08:16 PM

Ehh, I fell for the horse trap about a year ago, and haven't looked back since. :-)

countmystrides 10-10-2010 08:20 PM

awe! This story was too cute! That's so exciting :) Should have gotten pictures!

Walkamile 10-10-2010 08:30 PM

Countmystrides, that is exactly what my hubby said. He wanted to post them on his facebook page! I'm trying not to get too excited yet, but I have envied couples that ride together. Hoping the "horse" bug has at least nibbled Don!

He's heard me and my friends talk about all the trails we've ridden on for years. Animals we've had cross our paths and even overnight camping trips. How wonderful if the future holds that for us together!

Hoping to set up another ride for next weekend with the couples. This time I will take pictures of it for here and for Don to post.

We went to supper tonight with my sister and I was very complementary to Don on how he handled T. You could see him puff up with pride. He was telling my sister all about it. Gotta love it!

dizzynurse 10-10-2010 08:36 PM

I would love for my hobby to get bit by the bug! He rode and did cutting two weeks ago. So hopefully soon he will ride again!
Posted via Mobile Device

trailhorserider 10-10-2010 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walkamile (Post 777423)

First, the husbands, though not really riders, were very relaxed, almost not even aware , of what could happen if they didn't pay attention. But what really struck us gals, was that the horses responded to this "clueless" attitude and were very relaxed and responsive.

I'm not married, but I noticed this with a couple I sometimes ride with. The wife is supposed to be the rider and have all the horse experience. But she gets scared and sometimes bales off the horse. The husband is relatively new to horses, but never gets scared or worried, he just takes it all in stride. One time after the wife bailed I caught myself just as I was going to suggest that they switch horses. Then I was thinking "oh, she is supposed to be the more experienced rider." But I was thinking the hubby would do better with the more skittish horse. Hmmm!

I do think if a person is tense it transfers over to the horse. So maybe carefree riders make carefree horses? Something for all of us to think about. :lol:

rum4 10-16-2010 01:58 AM

Well my experience is different in that my wife was not into horses, started riding and she was worried how long we woudl ride. I told her when she was ready we would go back and that is what we did. We sometimes ride for 3 or other timesup to 6 hours. We did a lot of walking for a long time, then we slowly progressed into trotting and now this year she has started galloping and is still liking it. We are a family of four and we all ride. We go camping and do day rides, they all seem to enjoy it....... The wife started riding 4 years ago.

PaintHorseMares 10-16-2010 07:40 AM

Congrats to you and your husband!
I've seen couples comprised of an experienced woman rider and a 'hubby' rider turn what should be an enjoyable day into a disaster too many times before. Typically either the lady being the 'big expert' treating her husband like a child (and he never wants to ride with his wife again), or the 'macho' husband wants to show off and play 'cowboy' (which results in a trip to the emergency room).
Hope you have many great rides together.

ChevyPrincess 10-16-2010 03:39 PM

That is so cool! My boyfreind had never been around horses until he met me. He wasn't very interested in them at first. But we rescued a little 14 hh mare for $40 (walking skeleton). I kept her at his house, and he looked forward to seeing her and watching her when she ate. He was hooked!

My BO had a very nice calm mare he let my boyfriend ride before she was sold. He was also very relaxed and carefree. He would get the biggest grin on his face when she would brake into a trot. (He needs a bigger saddle too!)

Needless to stay, with my new little mare 13.3hh, he wants to help me with everything! Leading her, petting her, helping train her, lol.