The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Help Whats wrong????? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/help-whats-wrong-66881/)

sady21567 10-10-2010 11:12 PM

Help Whats wrong?????

3 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know whsts wrong with this 6 month old minis legs???

trailhorserider 10-10-2010 11:21 PM

He or she has apparently never seen a farrier and/or a vet. :-(

It's hard to tell if the legs have growth issues or the hooves are so long it just looks that way. Some photos on a flat surface and showing the horse from the side would be very helpful. But I would start with getting the feet trimmed. Even if the legs are okay otherwise, they are so overgrown that I would be afraid with a foal the limb deviations could be permanent because he/she is still growing and the growth plates in the legs can be affected.

dee 10-10-2010 11:38 PM

IDK, Trailhorse. It looks more like a form of dwarfism. I can't remember the name of it, but it causes twisted, misshapen legs and can even cause the head to be malformed.

HowClever 10-10-2010 11:46 PM

Diastrophia, if this is the same mini you posted in your other thread asking whether he looked like a dwarf, then this confirms for me that yes he is.

trailhorserider 10-10-2010 11:50 PM

Oh, okay. I never would have thought of that. I guess one shouldn't jump to conclusions like I did. Sorry.

But it still looks like it needs a hoof trim even if the legs can't be helped.

HowClever 10-10-2010 11:51 PM

Definitely in need of a trim, but I would make sure the farrier has some understanding of dwarfism to trim correctly. Good chance he's going to need all sorts of special shoeing and what not.

dee 10-10-2010 11:52 PM

The hoof trim would likely make the horse more comfortable, for sure...

trailhorserider 10-10-2010 11:57 PM

I went and looked at the other post in the Miniature section. He/she is very cute for sure! :-)

Sorry for being snappy in my first post. That really isn't like me, honest!

AlexS 10-11-2010 12:59 AM

It does look like dwarfism, but he needs corrective trims and often, he is stood on his heals with a long useless toe.