The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Suggestions?!!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/suggestions-66908/)

Hrsegirl 10-11-2010 10:14 AM

Suggestions?!!?

Ok so I started training my new 4 year old mare last week. And we put the saddle on her and she saddles like a pro. I don't even have to put a lead on her. On the first day, she bucked a few times, quit and went to eating grass. The second time, she didn't buck at all. I was really surprised. Anyways, I wanted to try to get her used to a bit but when I went to let try, she just raised her head and tried to back up. I let her smell it and figure out what it was, I tried molasses and she just turned her head. When I try to even touch anything to her mouth, she gets upset and backs up and throws her head. Any suggestions on how to get her to let me touch her mouth? Because she also needs to be wormed, but she doesn't like that either when I try.

Any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated.

mbender 10-11-2010 10:26 AM

Work with her face and mouth. As long as it takes to get her desensitized to the feel. I work with mine with my hand all over the mouth and then when they except that I start to stick my finger in the corner of the mouth. Do it with approach and retreat. Touch/rub and with the slightest exceptance remove your hand/finger.
Posted via Mobile Device

RandomHorsey 10-11-2010 10:28 AM

Horse Behavior and Training – Difficult to Bridle Cherry Hill's Horsekeeping

cheak this site out or maybe try using a hackamore

LoveTheSaddlebreds 10-11-2010 11:15 AM

You don't sound like you have too much experience training horses.. Maybe you should get a trainer to come help you, because it could be potentially dangerous training a horse.

Otherwise, just go out every day, 15 minutes a day, and rub her face all over. Stop every time she shows acceptance, then start again. Don't give her treats as a reward, treating a young horse can get them nippy. Reward by stopping whatever you are doing, then start again after around 30 seconds. When touching her face, touch her ears inside and out, open her mouth, play with her tongue, touch over her eyes, on her nose, etc. If you put your hand on her nose and she tries to bump it off, keep it on till she stops, then remove your hand. Keep doing all this until her head is desensitized.

sarahver 10-11-2010 11:33 AM

Don't be backwards in coming forwards with young horses. Don't rush them of course but if you are hesitant they will have zero confidence in anything you are trying to do with them. Most young horses will be wary of the bit the first time you introduce it but there are certain ways of doing it that would be hard to fully explain over the internet, much better to get someone in who is experienced to help you.

P.S. Saddlebreds - your signature cracked me up and I love the Pink Floyd reference!

Hrsegirl 10-11-2010 11:58 AM

Its not that I'm not experienced with training horses, I've trained a couple horses for my dad and the first one I trained is on a cattle ranch in Montana working cows. He was so dead broke my grandma got to ride him. And grandma doesn't ride. Anyways, the only reason this bothers me is because the horses that I've trained haven't had a problem with me touching their mouths, because we raised them from the day they were born and they were used to being touched everywhere. The people I bought her from basically halter broke her and taught her to lift her feet. The other parts of her head are desensitized. I can touch her ears, play with them, put my finger in them. I can rub over her eyes and everywhere but her mouth.

Its not that I wouldn't accept the help of a trainer, its just that there is NO trainers around my area and I mean NONE. The closest one is at least 100 miles away, if not more.

Snookeys 10-11-2010 12:05 PM

Have your vet come out and make sure she doesn't have an abscess, a sore, etc. Has she ever had her teeth floated?

Hrsegirl 10-11-2010 12:50 PM

You know, I don't know if she has ever had them floated. I highly doubt it. But its so expensive to get a vet out here. The nearest one is 50 miles away almost. So its 35 initially for the farm call and 2.29/mile!! Over 100 for mileage. Ugh.

Snookeys 10-11-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrsegirl (Post 778364)
You know, I don't know if she has ever had them floated. I highly doubt it. But its so expensive to get a vet out here. The nearest one is 50 miles away almost. So its 35 initially for the farm call and 2.29/mile!! Over 100 for mileage. Ugh.

Ohh! Wow. Well maybe you could find a way to get in there and see if there's any pain issues?

Strange 10-11-2010 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hrsegirl (Post 778364)

You could always trailer over there if that's a viable option, too. And I agree with what most everyone else has said, just make sure she's desensitized to you handling her all over her head/face/mouth/ears.