The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Marble?? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/marble-66934/)

Cinnys Whinny 10-11-2010 02:06 PM

Marble??

I was reading a thread earlier and now I have a HUGE question and I didn't want to steal the thread, so I am putting it here.

The person mentioned that she had a "marble" implanted in her mare so it's okay to have it with the mare's yearling colt.

I no NOTHING about breeding and as until today I thought the only birth control for a mare was to never let them near a stallion or fertile colt. So, what is a Marble? are there other forms of birth control?

Just so you know, I do not have a mare, I have a gelding. I am not planning on giving a horse birth control, I'm just really really curious as I have never heard of methods before.

wyominggrandma 10-11-2010 02:25 PM

It is a sterile (stainless steel I believe)marble that is inserted into the uterous of the mare. The idea is the body will tell the mare it is pregnant and will stop them from coming into heat. We have done a few here at the clinic where I work. I have seen it work great on one mare, did nothing for the second mare and the third mare "expelled" it within days so did not even stay in the uterous of that mare. I guess if it stays in and works, it is a great way to stop heat cycles. Some mare do terrific with a marble, others don't.... Kinda like woman, some can use birth control pills, shots, etc some cant so it would depend on the mare.
I spayed my mare, have spayed all my mares and love the results and the way they act afterwards. To be honest, I didn't want to try some of the shots since some of them are labeled for cows/steers, and just didn't want to have to worry about shots, meds etc and then forget to give them.
Spaying has always worked for me and that is why I like to have that done, and the mares have always remained sweet and loving.

Cinnys Whinny 10-11-2010 02:41 PM

Wow I never thought of spaying. What is the recovery time on something like that? Do they stay at a horse hospital or can they stay in their home? I imagine it costs a pretty penny, but then again so do unwanted foals. Sounds like my old mare would have done well with that as she was a sweetheart most of the times but became quite the little tart for about 3 months of the year.

Super Nova 10-11-2010 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cinnys Whinny (Post 778448)
I was reading a thread earlier and now I have a HUGE question and I didn't want to steal the thread, so I am putting it here.

The person mentioned that she had a "marble" implanted in her mare so it's okay to have it with the mare's yearling colt.

I no NOTHING about breeding and as until today I thought the only birth control for a mare was to never let them near a stallion or fertile colt. So, what is a Marble? are there other forms of birth control?

Just so you know, I do not have a mare, I have a gelding. I am not planning on giving a horse birth control, I'm just really really curious as I have never heard of methods before.

This does not guarntee that her mare will not get pregnant..........I certianly wouldn't use it as a form of birth control........I know someone who used a marble so her mare would not go into season as she had horrible heats and would colic.........the marble only stayed in for and short time before the mare expelled it.

Better and more reliable would be to geld the colt.

Super Nova

Cinnys Whinny 10-11-2010 08:30 PM

Wow, there is just so much information on this that I didn't know.

^It sounds like it's not 100% so I think if I had a mare I wouldn't rely on it, but I might try it for a mare that has horrible cycles. hmmm

wyominggrandma 10-12-2010 12:20 AM

Spaying is performed with the mare standing in stocks, sedated and given an epidural. The surgery itself is fairly fast, the vet goes in rectually, finds the overies and then a slit is made in the rectum, the overies are brought through the hole and then removed after the blood vessels have been crushed with a special instrument called an ecalasiur(sp). Yes, there are risks of bleeding if a major vessel is cut which can happen, although very rarely and that means almost instant bleed out and death. I have heard of it happening one time in all the years I have known about spaying and helping in surgeries. We do them in the winter since the mare is out of heat and the overies are small.
The mare is kept standing in a stall for 48 hours so she won't lay down and roll until the internal incisions are healed. Then pretty much normal every day routine, but most vets suggest no riding for about 3 weeks. I have had four mares done now and love the results.
We do the surgery here in Wyoming for about $600 which includes surgery, hospital time, meds etc. Then you take them home and have to give more antibiotics for three weeks or so, so that is extra. Not much if you don't want to deal with heats or accidental breedings, etc.