The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Supplement for dry skin? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/supplement-dry-skin-67037/)

Citrus 10-12-2010 10:27 AM

Supplement for dry skin?

In addition to calling my vet today, I am wondering if any of you have ideas on something I can feed Citrus to help with his dry skin. He has bald patches on his mane, neck, and chest. I did the dandruff shampoo for a time which helps some but I need to add something else. He is from North Dakota and now lives in Colorado, which I am told is a dry climate (does not make sense since it is always raining, cloudy or snowing but I am from Arizona.....). Any ideas?
Signed,
~Anne

Alicia 10-12-2010 02:18 PM

I've heard something about flax seed, but not sure.
Sorry I can't be of much help.

dee 10-12-2010 05:57 PM

We've been using Omega HorseShine. It's a little pricey, but a little goes a long way! It's got ground flax seed, yeasts and other goodies in it. We have a colt that we found out the hard way can't tolerate alfalfa. By the time we (and the vet) figured out what was wrong, poor Junior was covered in sores caused by sunburn due to photosensitivity caused by alfalfa. We could heal up the rashy sores, but his coat was dry and brittle. The Omega HorseShine really helped - and we give it to all our horses, now. (It also helps with their hooves!)

Citrus 10-12-2010 07:06 PM

I talked to my vet who said feed him a half cup of corn oil everyday in his feed. I will see how that works :)

Shalani 10-12-2010 07:22 PM

Try not using a shampoo for a while and wash him with 2 caps full olive oil in 2 liters warm water . If you can get some tea tree oil add 2 caps of that too &/or ACV - 1 cup

Shampoo strips skin & coat of vital oils that help protect your horse from the elements.
So give it a go for 1 month and im sure you will see results.

Also weather permitting try and leave him unrugged . Rugging reduces circultion to the skin .

hope that helps :)

Citrus 10-13-2010 08:37 AM

Thank you- all of you. The advice is fantastic and will all be tried.

~*~anebel~*~ 10-13-2010 09:36 AM

I'm fairly sure you also live in a Selenium deficient area. Making sure the horse is getting the correct mineral balance will work better than any "wonder product", and using just one, correctly balanced feed will maximize your horse's health.
Check Moorman's feeds as I think they are formulated for your area. If you can't find that, or it is too expensive, at least consider feeding a Selenium AND Vitamin E supplement, as Selenium and Vitamin E interact (like Calcium and Potassium). Also in humans, Vitamin E is often recommended for better skin.
You might also try adding Biotin. Leaps and Bounds is a great formulation because it also contains Vitamin A and D which also aid in healthy hooves. And it's like $30 for a 60 day supply.

But, also talk to your vet in case there is an underlying condition such as Cushings, and get the horse treated for that as well.

mls 10-13-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citrus (Post 780726)
Thank you- all of you. The advice is fantastic and will all be tried.

Please gradually work up to the half a cup a day!

Citrus 10-21-2010 02:50 PM

My vet said nothing about working up to half a cup a day and so far he is just fine. And I have had my 5 year old gelding examined for cushings to which my vet had to nearly keep from laughing.....I chuckled too and agreed, after his insistence, to call him with any questions before I over think things. :) I like the idea of selenium and will ask Doc about that as well. Thank you.

luvs2ride1979 10-21-2010 03:29 PM

I would recommend Flax Meal. It will help with dry skin and helps with allergies too. If you don't notice as much improvement as you would like, I'd put him on some antihistimines or supplements for allergy-prone horses.