The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   put weight on my TB, Beet pulp? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/put-weight-my-tb-beet-pulp-67072/)

megarcher25 10-12-2010 03:47 PM

put weight on my TB, Beet pulp?

I have had my TB gelding for about two months now, He was underweight when I got him, not extremely but enough to notice. he is steadily putting on weight and looks great to me but I am not an expert. some fellow boarders say he looks just fine, and is just a young lean horse, but my vet things he needs to gain another 200 pounds. We ride quite often, he is not out of shape or overly tired. I think he is very athletic. But I would like to try something to speed up the process before winter, have heard good things about beet pulp, but im not sure how to feed it to him and how much...I don't want to over feed and make him sick. He is now getting alfalfa hay twice a day and pasture 24 hours a day. How should I incorporate beet pulp into his routine? Thanks in advance

Digby 10-12-2010 03:51 PM

My barn has always used the dry beet pulp you've got to soak. We'll add about two scoops (feed scooper) to the feed in the AM and one scoop in the PM. When I purchased my horse he was like yours and needed another 200 lbs. I used rice bran pellets. That stuff is amazing. He got two pounds twice a day along with lots of alfalfa. He's gotten the weight back, but for maintenance, I still give him a scoop a day.

megarcher25 10-12-2010 03:53 PM

There is a picture you can see in another post, although he is tacked up so it may be hard to judge how he looks

megarcher25 10-12-2010 03:55 PM

rice bran pellets. ok. Sorry you are going to think I am idiot, but that's the part i don't get. lol. when and how do I "soak" the dried pulp, do i soak all of it or just the scoops at a time. and for how long? sorry for all the Q's!!!

Digby 10-12-2010 04:03 PM

We scooped out what we needed into a bucket, filled it level with the beet pulp with water and let it soak for 15-30 minutes. You could always scoop a days worth in the AM and do it all at once using what you needed at a time. Just make sure you cover it!! Hope that made some sense. Rice bran is easier than beet pulp, it looks just like grain, scoop it in with your feed and your done. You have to watch with rice bran and what hays you feed though (not sure about beet pulp) Rice bran has an inverted calcium/phosphorus ratio. Your safe as long as you continue to feed alfalfa along with the rice bran. Let me know if you've got any other Q's! Happy to help. :)

megarcher25 10-12-2010 04:05 PM

perfect. thank you!

BrewCrew 10-12-2010 04:05 PM

When I go out to feed in the AM, I just take the BP bucket with me, and measure out the beet pellets for the evening's feeding. Add water and let it sit and it's ready for that evening's feeding. It doesn't NEED to sit that long, but that's what works for me.

dee 10-12-2010 05:51 PM

Careful with the beet pulp if you let it soak all day in the heat. We set some to soak too early in the afternoon this August. I think it set about four hours, but it was already soured and smelly... eeewww!

Other than that - beet pulp is our filler of choice to put weight on a horse or just round out the feed program a bit. We've noticed that our horses actually slow down when they are eating the soaked beet pulp (we mix it with alfalfa pellets and oats), so they tend to treat it like hay. They'll even take a break - get a drink, nibble real hay. Vet says it will likely help keep them from colicking from eating too fast. They only get 1 to 1-1/2 pounds (dry) of the beet pulp, twice a day. (hard keepers)

simplyes53 10-12-2010 05:58 PM

I have used beet pulp and while I liked it most recently I have switched to feeding Triple Crown Complete (10% fat), Rice Bran (10% fat), and Alfalfa Bermuda pellets. I made the changge because Beet Pulp only has 2-3% fat I think it was. So it makes sense to feet the rice bran at a higher fat content :)

dee 10-12-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simplyes53 (Post 780052)
I have used beet pulp and while I liked it most recently I have switched to feeding Triple Crown Complete (10% fat), Rice Bran (10% fat), and Alfalfa Bermuda pellets. I made the changge because Beet Pulp only has 2-3% fat I think it was. So it makes sense to feet the rice bran at a higher fat content :)

We would likely do something like that, but can't feed a complete feed to one of our horses - he can't tolerate even small amounts of alfalfa, and nearly all of the complete feeds contain it. We have to make up our own feeds.

ETA: forgot to add - we also add Red Cel and Omega HorseShine to boost the vitamins and fat. Thought about adding the rice bran as well, but have heard it can cause some sort of calcium/phosphorus imbalance if not fed properly. Still researching on that...