The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Tips on Donkeys anyone!? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/tips-donkeys-anyone-67144/)

horseplay88 10-13-2010 08:32 AM

Tips on Donkeys anyone!?

Hello :-) I am fairly new to riding as I only started again in June, although I did own a horse 7 years aho when at school, however, he was too much of a horse for me and so now lives happily with a policeman we know and even does some jousting!

My boyfriend has bought me two donkeys , and we get them next year which I cannot wait for :) We have land and everything sorted for them but I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on caring for donkeys? I have read barley straw is best to feed them but what would you say is the best bedding? Any advice would be great :D

Also, I have been promised a horse if I get a first in my degree at Uni in two years time, so I am currently working very very hard!

Thank you

Heather xxx

ChevyPrincess 10-13-2010 09:14 PM

Hi Heather =) Welcome to the forum!

I have been around donkeys and I have rode and helped train mammoth donkeys. They are very reason thinking animals, thus, they don't see the need to work unless there is a reason for it. It's very hard to get them to canter lol. Overall, they are very sweet loving creatures.

Their hooves are shaped differently than horses, they don't need shoes only an occasional trim, if that. As far as bedding, just any kind that you would use for a horse will do =) How big are they?

NorthernMama 10-13-2010 11:12 PM

Donkeys are very minimalistic animals -- that is to say, they need very little of anything and everything. Little food, little water, little grooming, little footwork.

The worst thing we ever did with our donkey was to overfeed him. Donkeys are desert animals and easily suffer serious health issues from overweightness (? is that even a word? LOL) A lush field is bad news. Bedding? for what? Don't lock them in a stall. Let them have free access to a three sided shelter and they're good to go. Honestly - instead of spending oodles and oodles of time on physical care, spend it instead on just time with them. They are very intelligent, very loyal beasts and you will be richly rewarded if you earn their respect, trust and keep their curiousity appeased.

horseplay88 10-14-2010 04:45 AM

Thank you for the tips you two! WIth regards to their height I am not too sure for they haven't been born yet. I know they are not miniatures though. I have got plenty of time to prepare for them but I just want to have everything right for them you know hehe.

I have also heard they are prone to laminitis, so you must watch what they eat. Would you feed them on barley straw then and no hard feed?

NorthernMama 10-14-2010 09:42 PM

Probably you heard they are prone to laminitis because many people feed them too richly. Definitely no hard feed. Let them eat what's in the paddock as long as it's not lush and give them a flake of hay a day just so they know to love you. :)

Redial 10-14-2010 09:55 PM

I want a donkey but the grass is too rich here, i'd just have laminitic donkey's on my hands. I used to work at a donkey rescue angency, they're very loyal animals but overly intelligent and will let you know if they don't want to do soemthing and then you have to give them alternatives or wait for them to change their mind, because there's no forcing a donkey