The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discipline

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Iseul 
#1 ·
Well, since I'm being told that I'm beating someone's horse by disciplining it, I thought I might ask what others do to discipline their 1200 lb animal when it does something unsafe.
If a horse bites me, Ima give it a pop on it's mouth, and make sure it's not scared of me and associating the punishment with the action.
If a horse kicks at me, I'll either smack it's hindend, or I'll give it a little kick to show them that I can 'kick' them right back.
If a horse tries to run me over, ima hit it on the chest and back it up a bunch.
So, what do you do when a horse does something that would/could potentially injure you or someone else?
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
I help work at the barn, and it's a run-in. So when we feed and clean we either have to walk them out or move around them. We call them down when we feed, anthey usually run down and then walk into the barn, and sometimes they try and run in , which is when we back them out and let them walk in, so it's safe for both them and us.
If I'm not suppose to be feeding or handling a horse then I won't bother it, but when it could potentially hurt me is when it becomes an issue.
Posted via Mobile Device

#4 ·
You're right, I always will smack a horse's mouth, no matter whos it is, if it tries to bite me or kick me, or if they are too pushy or just being a brat. All horses should have manners and respect. And if the owner won't discipline the horse, then the horse can walk all over their owner, but they sure better respect me.

#5 ·
There are few horses that I have met that will continue to approach a person doing a simple "Jumping jack" and a physical maneuver like that will keep most horses at a safe distance.

If you are not in charge of a horse,own the horse,or are a trainer working the horse I would council you to refrain from hitting the horse.

Just stay away from the animal that you are having a problem with and seek help from the owner or barn manager.

Experienced horse owners seldom need to hit and find other effective ways to deal with the behavior.

That is called training.

#6 ·
I turn in about 30 horses for a barn so I know the annoyance of having to deal with pushy, ill-trained horses. However they're not my horses so it is not my job to train them. I will make them walk, and bring a crop with me if need be, but I don't hit them. Usually growling, making myself big, and getting after them is enough.

I don't think anything you're doing sounds abusive, but it's not your horse either. Obviously keep yourself safe, but I would avoid hitting a horse in the face if it's not yours.

#7 ·
When I'm in a situation where it's not my horse, I will carry a lead line or lunge whip, something that I can twirl and smack around near the horse that is attempting in invade my space. It's effective and involves no contact. I can't imagine anyone would call that abuse and it keeps me safe.

#8 ·
I understand that horses that are actually trained knowing what is acceptable or such. The only time I hit a horse in te face is when it tries to bite me, and it's not a slap or such, either they meet my elbow or I make a motion with my hand that ends up connecting with their face.
He's gotten better and moves away without a push usually, but I just wanted some opinions on what everyone else does to discipline a dangerous behaviour.
I just find by experience these ways to be the most effective, I'm all for trying different techniques though.
And, the issue with the owner was resolved..mainly. Apparently she was told lies coming from the BO's daughter that we beat the horse since we didn't like it or such, but understands after 3 hours of talking and explaining and she doesn't have an issue if disciplining like I said in the OP is what we're doing.
But again, I was mainly looking to see what other owners/trainers did compared to what our area normally does. And I appriciate all the replies so far.
Posted via Mobile Device

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.