The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Can anybody (especially from Canada) help me realize my dream? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/can-anybody-especially-canada-help-me-67163/)

Hafilein 10-13-2010 01:53 PM

Can anybody (especially from Canada) help me realize my dream?

Hey there,

I'm from Germany and next year I'll be finished with school.

Between June and August I'll have free time.

My biggest wish always was (and still is) to stay on a horseranch in Canada for a little time (about 4 to 8 weeks).

There are organisations planning such ranchstays for people (like ayusa) but they are expensive and you have to visit an english course in vancouver before you go on a ranch... Because I've already been to vancouver and I don't want to have such a course, I tried to search for ranches on my own but it is very difficult from here...

Does anybody from you know a ranch, where you can be for this little time in june/july/august 2011?

My aim is to improve my english, to work with horses and learn something, to get to know new people, a new land, a new culture... And to be in an openminded and nice family. Of course I'll help with all work that has to be done on the ranch...

If anybody of you knows a ranch where something like this might be possible and where I can make my dream come true it would be so nice if you write me a personal message or comment this thread.

And if you have any questions left, don't hesitate and ask :)

Greetings from Germany =)

Lis 10-13-2010 02:25 PM

I reccommend using a website called yardandgroom.com . It has employers from all over the world on there and you can search for specific job types such as working student.

MacabreMikolaj 10-13-2010 06:54 PM

I board my horse at a dude ranch of sorts, in a huge provincial park. They basically own a large string of trail horses, do daily trail rides, have wagon/sleigh rides, have a full restaurant and also barns and an arena for boarders.

We just had a gentleman leave us to go back home to the UK, he was with us for about 4 months as a worker. There are cabins on the property for workers who don't have a home.

It would be an actual job, but it's not a bad place and you're immersed in horses and the "cowboy image" all day, every day.

Birds Hill Park Ranch

Tasia 10-13-2010 07:39 PM

Try Douglas Lake Ranch, British Columbia.

Hafilein 10-14-2010 10:47 AM

Thanks for your answers so far =) And I'm thankful for every further comment!

Hafilein 10-18-2010 10:22 AM

Hmm I wrote an email to one farm (the douglas ranch ...) but they didn't answer yet...

and the email adress of the other farm (birds hill) doesn't work... :(

And with the other page I don't really can work with it because I don't know how to call the thing i want to do... is it really this difficult to find a ranch in canada where you can work for some weeks?

Is it maybe easier to find a ranch in the USA?

what do you think?

Maverick101 10-18-2010 01:08 PM

www.sandridgestables.ca

Calgary horses jobs, work, careers & employment - Kijiji Calgary

Royale Equestrian Centre | Striving to develop/maintain happy, quality, well trained horses & to provide horse owners/riders with a fun and safe place to ride, where we will treat your horse like one of our own!

www.curlys.ca

Start with these.....I just googled "work exchange working w horses in canada."

Hope these are helpful?

Hafilein 10-19-2010 11:35 AM

Thanks =) I'll try them... =)

NicoleS11 10-19-2010 12:03 PM

Try looking into Jasper National Park ranch's...

Beau Baby 10-19-2010 10:49 PM

omg maverick! i was about to suggest the barn I ride at Sandridge Stables. My coach{the owner} regularly takes in working students or Woofers{ppl who stay anywhere from 1-2 months}. I'd imagine you'd learn a lot and its an amazing barn. superbly friendly people.
8AD10DDF-2939-C6A7-EAAE-68D7728F6A05