The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   horse careers, possibly changing majors? help. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/horse-careers-possibly-changing-majors-help-67253/)

rraylutz210 10-14-2010 04:54 PM

horse careers, possibly changing majors? help.

So I am an architect major and loving it. However I also have an extreme passion for horses and plan to be a breeder as well as an architect. In the back of my head I cant help but think, am I going to be stretching myself to thin, 8-5pm days at work then breeder and family women at night.. hmmmmmm. So, I am curious if any of you have any horse related careers you would suggest that would provide the money to become a well established breeder as well as provide time for family. Right now I am just kind of curious, not completely serious about changing majors completely. I will more than likely still get at least a bA in Architecture.
Side note... I have worked for an equine vet for a few years and find equine medicine fascinating, however.. from what I have seen vets don't have a family life at all. And techs dont make enough money to support a family and a full swinging breeding business.

Suggestions please =)

equestrian 10-14-2010 06:04 PM

I used to work full time as a beginner hunt seat instructor and sales rider. I never had time for my own horses and it became a job instead of a passion. I love horses and will always have them, but I will never again have a career with them. JMO.

Saskia 10-14-2010 06:22 PM

I'm at uni and I am always toying with the idea that I want horses in my future. I'd love to train them, and be a full time trainer and maybe a breeder. I also want a family.

The thing is that it isn't easy. To be a breeder you'd need a property and horses. You can't even get a mortgage without a job, and in this day and age its not easy, and sometimes impossible, to live off one income. Perhaps when your partner is more established in their career but that is usually a long way off.

Not to mention that breeding doesn't pay that well anymore. It depends on what you are breeding, but these days it seems you can pick up young stock dirt cheap, and the prices even of some reasonably nice bred horses doesn't seem to cover the Stallion fee and mare upkeep for the time.

That means that to get by you have to be breeding well bred, well handled horses that is valuable to a group that will pay money for them. So its not really worth breeding pleasure/all-rounder horses. In addition you have to get some really nice stallions, not just your local good one, and put them over some good mares, hopefully accomplished ones. To do all this you need a lot of money.

What I would do if I were you is aim to have a well paying career that you can use anywhere. An architect can make money in a city, but a lot of that money would go in ridiculously high rents and transport costs. But if you can a get a good paying job in a smaller town with cheap property then you'll be a lot better off. I don't know exactly what you are doing but think about your future.

Do what you enjoy and what you'll be good at. Changing to a course because you like the idea of it is never good - the reality is often different. Just try and make the best decisions to lead you where you want to go.

I don't think I am much help. I think if you enjoy architecture you should finish that. If you meet someone you love maybe your plans will change. Save money when you can and when big decisions come address them in relation to your goals.

Zeke 10-14-2010 06:59 PM

im with Equestrian, don't turn your passion into a job and ruin it. Yes, you should enjoy the field you go into, but making your hobby a full time job can be tough. I know many many trainers with little time to ride the horses they want to ride and are instead on clients problems all day long.

To be honest and sound shallow...you'll more likely make better money as an architect anyways, provided you work hard and always do your best. I've heard many times breeding any sort of animal is rarely a true money making business. And honestly living in a city is not THAT much money. Yes, it can get expensive but so is that breeding barn you need to keep in top shape to attract clients and keep horses safe.

I would vote architect, for the sheer practicality of it. Unfortunately that's what the real world is usually about. I am sticking with my Graphic Design major though I would love to ride daily, it's just a smarter decision to me.

rraylutz210 10-14-2010 09:55 PM

good opinions thank you all =)
I will probably stick with architecture, its a great job that i already love and am good at but you also get the luxury of working at home a bit once you are more established.
Breeding is one of those professions, yes, that does not necessarily make money. However, if you are one of the few that can rise to the top of a breed industry you can make that your whole living. That is my someday goal. Maybe it will take me 60 years to accomplish, but someday I would like to retire from architecture, sell my firm and just breed and show my babies. who knows it may work :shock: lol.
if not I will always have my architecture backing me up for income. so what if i draw all my life. =P not sooo bad.
I too was a trainer for 2 years and began to see it as a job as well instead of a hobby, thats what happens when you ride horses you dont enjoy all day, its no fun. So I would never consider making that a full time career.
I was speaking more along the lines of vet science or medicine or something like that. Im not really familiar to other professions outside of the equine vet loop that deal with medicine and make a large income.. so..
Are any of you??

upnover 10-15-2010 12:53 AM

Hm, I'm coming from the other side of the spectrum! I'm a full time trainer. I ride several horses during the day, teach kids at night, and show on the weekends. AND LOVE IT. Sure, there are horses I have to ride I don't love and kids that drive me nuts. I get tired, unmotivated, impatient, irritated, etc. There are days when I'd really love to just lay on the couch. But when it comes down to it, I absolutely love my job. There's nothing in the world I'd rather do then this!

The thing about the horse business (esp breeding) is that it can be a very tough place to make a name in for yourself. And unless you're independently wealthy you'll probably have to start at the bottom and work your way up. And still possibly never get there. Unless you're very involved in the breeding world or have some excellent connections to give yourself a leg up, I'd pursue architecture. Do it to fund a few babies and work your way up from there. You may one day find yourself with enough horse clients to do it full time and quit architecture. Or maybe one day you'll find that you'd rather just breed a few babies as a hobby. But if you aren't sure I wouldn't give up any practical options.