The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   why does he put his head up? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/why-does-he-put-his-head-67300/)

sorraiamustangs 10-15-2010 09:07 AM

why does he put his head up?

My horse has always been a good boy when it comes to barrel racing. But since the beginning of the year he keeps putting his head in the air and flipping the bit. I tried putting a hackamore on him and he's doing better but he still puts his head up when we run. My question is why is he doing this?!:?

MIEventer 10-15-2010 09:41 AM

Horses throw their heads up, to evade something. The mechanics are : Back drops, head goes up, on forehand - so what is causing your horse to drop his back?

Pain is the first thing that comes to mind. Lack of a Topline is another and not being ridden effeciantly from back to front.

So, have you had a Professional Saddle Maker/Fitter assess your saddle on your horses back to ensure that the saddle is a proper fit for both you and your horse?

Have you had Chiropractics done? There could be a misalignment in his skeletal somewhere. There could be sore muscles.

I would first rule out any forms of possible pain that could be causing this. Then, I would analyze how you are riding, your seat and your way of going during your daily work routines.

sorraiamustangs 10-27-2010 02:05 PM

I ride the way I always have been for the past two years. He just started doing this in the past summer. And we had the saddle perfectly fitted to his back. He is just naturally stubborn most of the time anyways, so I'm thinking that's just the case.

Alwaysbehind 10-27-2010 02:22 PM

Has the saddle fit been looked at recently by a professional?

Has the horse's back been looked at recently by a professional?

Walkamile 10-27-2010 02:25 PM

I think MIE has made some excellent points on what it could be. To that all I will add, it when was his mouth checked last. Perhaps he has some hooks or sharp points that are causing problems.

If he has only started doing this , but has always been a good boy, then you have to take a hard look at what could be doing this. I seriously doubt that he is just now deciding to be stubborn where he has always been a good boy. Horses don't wake up and decide, hmmmm I think I'll do blank to irritate my rider. I'm not being sarcastic, but please consider what MIE and I have suggested .

A good horse wants to please, unless he is being given a reason not to.

sorraiamustangs 10-28-2010 09:31 AM

He has always been a little stubborn, and he never really liked listening and can have a big attitude. But now he's just acting worse than he usually is but the more I ride him the better he acts, thats why I think hes just being stubborn. Knowing his breed he would want to find something to irritate me, he likes to test people and push them to the limit.

tinyliny 10-28-2010 09:50 AM

what breed is that?

sorraiamustangs 10-28-2010 01:50 PM

he is a sorraia mustang

Snookeys 10-28-2010 04:28 PM

If this is a new development I would definitely consider it a pain issue..