The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Memorials (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/)
-   -   "Champ" Saddlebred gelding; "killed by carelessness" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/champ-saddlebred-gelding%3B-killed-carelessness-67315/)

Snookeys 10-15-2010 03:15 PM

"Champ" Saddlebred gelding; "killed by carelessness"

3 Attachment(s)
Meet Champion, a once-beautiful ex-show Saddlebred gelding. He was about 14, and was absolutely adorable. He was purchased along with two other skinny horses. Champ was probably in the worst shape. He loved people.

His death was caused by selfish, ignorant people. He was tacked up and tied to a hitching post, stretching out and biting at his sides, clearly uncomfortable. He'd already been out on the trails for hours (this is a public riding stable; selling rides to the public for money). Not only was he in NO condition to be ridden strenuously through the trails by inexperienced people, he didn't have shoes and his feet were EXTREMELY sensitive on the gravel trails. He stumbled and grunted the whole way. When I told the owner that he was colicking, I was ignored. Champ was biting at his sides, pacing, ducking his head down, stretching... could there have been anymore clearer signs??

Well, the owner grabbed Champ off the hitching post, and mounted up his rider. Of course, Champ tried to lay down, and the rider was asked to step off because he was "itchy" :roll:

The owner took the saddle off and let him roll, right in the gravel. When he didn't get up, she decided he was probably colicking. Man... if only someone had warned her earlier... So then she proceeds to exhaust him by running him in circles until the vet arrived. He was slipping all over the gravel, going down several times only to be whipped until he stood and started running again. It was appalling. It was abuse. Champ was put down once the vet arrived.

He loved people, he loved attention, and he could have probably been gorgeous once he was made healthy again. Unfortunately, he wasn't given that chance. I wish I had better pictures... poor guy... :'( :cry:

kpptt2001 10-15-2010 04:11 PM

What a shame, poor Champ :( Unfortunatly gone far too soon due to neglect, foolishness and ignorance - he is in a better place now with endless fields to gallop and graze. You were obviously very fond of Champ Snookey, I am so sorry for your loss - he sure looked like a sweetheart :(

dee 10-15-2010 11:19 PM

Poor baby! Some people just live in a state of denial and do not want to believe something is wrong with their horse until its too late. Judging from his condition, though, I'd say he's probably happier now...

franknbeans 10-16-2010 07:25 AM

Sorry about Champ, but has anything been done to address the neglect so that this doesn't happen to other horses? Sure sounds like a case that needs reporting if I ever heard one. He was not killed by carelessness, this was much worse than that.

Snookeys 10-16-2010 03:16 PM

Yes. I've called the humane society, as well as TONS of other people. They say that when they go out there, everything is up-to-par, which is bullcrap. All their horses are skinny and go out on gravel trails without shoes, some even with limps. The Humane Society and the stable are both owned by Metro, so I think they're just turning their heads to save money. :/

LadyGaGa 10-16-2010 03:31 PM

Take your own photos or vids if you are able to and keep on pressing till something is done because that is **** disgusting...I would not let that lie...

Rest in peace champ...you deserved better..x

OffTheTrack 10-16-2010 07:34 PM

What a sad face :( How horrible...poor sweet guy...may he find peace

sheawhittet 10-19-2010 11:51 PM

Some ppl have no business going near a horse or any other animal!!
Champ---I hope you have found pease on the other side of the rainbow bridge...you deserve it

Snookeys 10-20-2010 01:13 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks everyone. Here are some more I found of him. He had an amazing personality; I almost bought him for myself just to retire and make a pet out of, but it was too late by the time I had the money :(

A knack for horses 10-20-2010 01:25 AM

That poor baby!!! I think I am going to cry. :cry:

If there is a horsey heaven, he is there. Solely by the stupidity of people. I hope the people who made hime work in such conditions burn.